• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car stolen now were the criminals??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CFC Scott

We live in the big Bear mountain range in san bernadino county california.. On july 12th our 2009 Honda civic was stolen or thats when we noticed it was stolen. We did phone interviews, then a investigator came and took our statements in person.. Gave them what they wanted which was too much if you ask me. Bank statements for all accounts, cell records and other info. Now 71 days into the claim they want us to do a statements under oath with some law firm. Meanwhile the finance company is threatening to sue us because we dont have the money to pay for something we cant use we have to pay for another vehicle. Is this legal we dont understand. We were out of town and the statements show we were gone this sucks... Help please

Last edited:

Isis1

Did you report it stolen? How did you figure you wre listed as the criminals? What were you charged with?

CFC Scott

we werent charged with anything they found the car 3 days later totaled and the cops donnt know what to say.. their just making us feel like we did it or something.. i just think they dont want to pay

antrc170

Have you contacted your automobile insurance company? If it was insured then they should be paying for the totalled vehicle. Perhaps not enough to pay it off, but something. You are still responsible for whatever is owed on the vehicle regardless of if you can drive it or not.

I wouldn't make any statements to the police about the incident without first consulting an attorney.

CFC Scott

no they cops cleared us a long time ago. progressive is the ones who are makin us feel like criminals we contacted them and now they want us to do oath statements with some attorney 71 days into the claim

justalayman

it sounds like they suspect you were involved with the theft. I would not say anymore without an attorney.

. Meanwhile the finance company is threatening to sue us because we dont have the money to pay for something we cant use we have to pay for another vehicle.
You do owe them and since their security is now worthless, they want their money.

and of course you had the required full coverage insurance that will pay, at least, fair market value to the creditor, right? Then all you have to worry about paying is anything you were upside down on.

antrc170

Sorry I thought it was the police that wanted the statement.

What does your policy say about cooperating with the company concerning claims?

ecmst12

The insurance company will ALWAYS ask for a statement under oath with a theft claim. It's standard procedure. If you were not involved in the theft, you have nothing to worry about.

xylene

Why did you stop making payments before the claim was settled?

You should have been covered for that on a ~2 year old car.

Antigone*

no they cops cleared us a long time ago. progressive is the ones who are makin us feel like criminals we contacted them and now they want us to do oath statements with some attorney 71 days into the claim
So give them your statement under oath.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">