• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Plus An Improper Lane Change Ticket!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Twheeler

I currently live in Idaho. Recently I was getting on the freeway. I drove approx. 3 miles when I was pulled over by an officer. The officer told me he had initially pulled me over for making an improper lane change when I was getting on the freeway. He then told me he was also issuing me a ticket for speeding in a work zone. There are two intial problems that I have with this. The first regarding the improper lane change is where exactly was he located that it took him three miles to pull me over. Was he able to see my lane change accurately? Regarding the speeding ticket, I never told the officer my speed, nor did he. He also failed to mention mine or the posted speed on the ticket. Does this sound a case like I could fight and win? I feel that I had not made an unsafe lane change, since I was merging on the freeway and the car in front of me was not going the proper speed. I also am 100% sure I was not speeding. What are your thoughts?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I currently live in Idaho. Recently I was getting on the freeway. I drove approx. 3 miles when I was pulled over by an officer. The officer told me he had initially pulled me over for making an improper lane change when I was getting on the freeway. He then told me he was also issuing me a ticket for speeding in a work zone. There are two intial problems that I have with this. The first regarding the improper lane change is where exactly was he located that it took him three miles to pull me over.
The officer is not required to pull you over the very instant you commit a violation...he's free to follow you for some time and wait for you to commit another violation like, say, speeding.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Regarding the speeding ticket, I never told the officer my speed
I'm sure he could figure it out by himself.

He also failed to mention mine or the posted speed on the ticket.
Is there a space for this information on the ticket? What was the charge?

...the car in front of me was not going the proper speed.
What does that mean?

I also am 100% sure I was not speeding. What are your thoughts?
My initial thought was that everyone says the same thing. How fast were you traveling? And what was the speed limit?

Twheeler

The officer is not required to pull you over the very instant you commit a violation...he's free to follow you for some time and wait for you to commit another violation like, say, speeding.
I realize that. My point to being that he did not even come up behind me for about 3 miles is that he must not have been located somewhere that he could accurately see me getting on the freeway, if it took him around 3 miles for him to even pull up behind me.

Twheeler

I'm sure he could figure it out by himself.

Is there a space for this information on the ticket? What was the charge?

What does that mean?

My initial thought was that everyone says the same thing. How fast were you traveling? And what was the speed limit?
-Yes there was a space on the ticket for my speed and how fast I was going. I was going 55 in a work zone, however, my point is, the officer told me I was speeding, wouldn't tell me how fast I was going, and failed to put it on my ticket.

-That means that the car merging in front of me was not even close to being up to the speed of traffic, so as soon as I got on the freeway I got over immediately when we got on the freeway.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I realize that. My point to being that he did not even come up behind me for about 3 miles is that he must not have been located somewhere that he could accurately see me getting on the freeway, if it took him around 3 miles for him to even pull up behind me.
What you are saying is that you were going SOOOO fast, that it took the officer 3 miles to catch up with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">