• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritance not paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ghollowayss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

CA law
My mother lives in Vista, CA where her mother and husband both died, 1996 and 2001 respectively. My grandmother, her mother left a recorded and executed will in Ohio where the 3 kids got $10,000 upon her death. My mother never gave it to us or a reading of the will or copy, she just blew us off. Did the same when my Dad died in 2001. She got $550,000 in cd's from Grandmother. She blew my dads estate of over $800,000 and had property after he died. Did she have to go to probate on my dads estate. Can I do anything about her fiduciary failed responsibitities and money not paid to the kids.?? Thanks Greg Holloway or pass this on to the right people for an answer.

justalayman

There is no "reading of the will" like you see on TV. Probate is opened and the will is presented for review..

If their estates have never been probated, then that is what needs to happen.

If they have been probated, find and obtain a copy of the probate file from the court each was filed in. Generally it is the county of last residence. See what was supposed to be yours and where it went.

anteater

Putting aside for now the questions of any improprieties and the length of time after the deaths....

She blew my dads estate of over $800,000...
Does she actually have any assets now?

(Given that most married couples own assets jointly with right of survivorship, it could be that Dad's estate did not have to be probated.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">