• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil suit filed against me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Living in PA

I do not dispute that I owe money to 2 people who have filed civil actions against me in PA. What should I do to prepare for the hearing, and what can I expect as an outcome. The total owed is 12,000.

JETX

Since you acknowledge owing the money, I assume you have no defense other than "I don't have (or don't want to pay) the money I owe them". If that is the total of your defense, here is what you have to look forward to:

1) They will get a judgment against you for the amount that you owe. Further, the court will also assess you the cost of their attorney fees (if any), plus the costs of court, plus interest at the state mandated amount.

2) With the judgment(s) in hand, the creditor can now go about enforcing the judgment. This could include anything from seizing your property, your assets, garnishing wages, etc. depending on where you live and what they allow to be seized.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">