• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I think I have been scammed by a matchmaking company...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (South Carolina)?

I joined a local match making company called Singles Plus about 2 weeks ago and I'm supposed to pay about $55 a month for 18 months and I get 5 introductions (or matches). Apparently you get a "loan" through this company called The Universal Group aka Universal Guardian Acceptance. Yesterday they called to verify my personal information such as my income, my address, and my SSN. I asked them if I can cancel my service with the matchmaking company would I still have to pay this "loan" and they said that I cannot cancel since I signed a contract even if I no longer wanted the services of the Singles Plus matchmaking company.

I haven't made my first payment yet, its not due until October 15th. Oh and I did put down a $50 deposit when I joined the match making company. Would there be anyway to cancel this contract before my first payment is due. Something just seems REALLY fishy about this whole "loan" thing. I don't see why I need this "loan" if Im paying monthly for the service anyways.

I was thinking about going to the matchmaking office sometime this week without an appointment and talking to the owner if she is there, but I'm not sure what I should do. Someone recommended that I should contact my states general attorney, but I don't know if he would even care.

Thanks in advance for any advice any of you can give me.
Well, if you signed a contract, what does it say about "cancellations"???

CourtClerk

Dude,

I meet more people doing my 4 mile walk during my lunch hour and all it costs me is the cost of a new pair of tennis shoes every few months.

Who needs a matchmaking service? Get outside of your house (provided you don't look like you need to crawl under a rock).

Kiawah

So what is the "scam" you are alleging?

You looked into a service, you contacted them, you signed a contract, and now they're expecting you to pay.

Is this just buyers remorse? or where is the 'scam'?

justalayman

So what is the "scam" you are alleging?

You looked into a service, you contacted them, you signed a contract, and now they're expecting you to pay.

Is this just buyers remorse? or where is the 'scam'?
requiring the OP to enter into a loan agreement with some other company to finance the payments.

Depending on how it was presented, it may or may not be a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">