• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got pulled over again.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigma

NYC.

Members… I realized how…****ty… my original thread turned out and I am glad it got closed. I wanted to stay on topic with this post, but it seems I must unfortunately create yet another “New York” topic.

Nevertheless, I was pulled over again today. I was traveling on the FDR during rush hour, bumper-to-bumper traffic. I did not see a cop anywhere and then realized someone was tailgating me, and to top it all off.. the police. At this point, the fact I have a current pending ticket and the possibility of catching another sunk in me. I was a bit down. He flashed his light and forced me to get off at the next exit. When we came to a stop, I quickly turned my car off. I had to shout aloud three times to inform him the car was off (it is keyless entry/ignition).

As he approached the car, I took control of the situation, greeted him and immediately let him know the car was keyless and it was shut off. He immediately pointed to my radar detector, which is clearly visible, and asked me how much and where I purchased it from because it “Clearly did not work.” I let him know the price and location and immediately asked him why I was being pulled over. He looked at me with a guilty face and asked if I seriously asked that question. I replied yes in a strong, respectful, but serious way. He proceeded to ask me if I knew what the speed limit was on the road I was traveling. I answered his question, 40mph and he quickly followed up with the obvious question, How fast were you going? I let him know I was going the speed limit. For the following minute or so, in an aggressive tone of voice, he proceeded try to make me admit to a crime I did not commit. By this time, a small crowed of four to five people gathered, they were mostly the custodial staff from the residential building where we were stopped. The officer, a sergeant, proceeded to wave my paperwork in the air and let the crowd of people know he going to cut me a break should I have come clean but now he will have to write up a citation and I would have to tell it to the Judge. I let him know I was telling the truth and I appreciate he was trying to cut me a break, but I was not speeding and I did not know why he was pulling me over for.

He took my paperwork, shouted aloud how he tried to cut me a break and proceeds back to his cruiser. We sat there for what seemed to be an eternity and by then the crowd had begun to dissipate. Now I am in my beautiful car, sulking at the fact another check will have to be written to xxx lawyer. I will now have two court cases to look forward to sometime next year and I must stare at the look of shame and disappointment from my wife as I inform her of yet another speeding ticket. She will never understand, Damn. I then hear him call me to his cruiser and he asked me where I grew up. I let him know Brooklyn and asked why. In the computer, he pointed that it showed as if I surrendered an out of state drivers license in 2007. I let him know that was incorrect and kindly requested information on how to get it corrected as I did not want any future problems. He stated it did not matter and let me know he was cutting me a break and letting me go….what the fu…

I thanked him for cutting me a break and let him know I appreciate it and remaining courteous, let him know I got a speeding ticket a month ago and learned my lesson about the repercussions of speeding. He asked where I received it and I let him know in the Bronx. He immediately shouted the name of the officer that issued me the ticket stated he knew him quite well. We started talking about cars and along the lines asked me what was the fastest I have ever my car… I let him know I’ve never driven it faster than the speed limit. During this short time of building rapport, I got the strong thinking feeling he was trying to extract information from me. Why else would he be so quickly to ask me questions about my speeding ticket… as if he wanted to tell his buddy. My question I suppose is, can this be a possibility or am I just being paranoid. Overall he was nice and friendly… after he failed to drill me in another speeding ticket.

I apologize for the long post but sometimes I like to write.

I_Got_Banned

NYC.

Members… I realized how…****ty… my original thread turned out and I am glad it got closed. I wanted to stay on topic with this post, but it seems I must unfortunately create yet another “New York” topic.

Nevertheless, I was pulled over again today. I was traveling on the FDR during rush hour, bumper-to-bumper traffic. I did not see a cop anywhere and then realized someone was tailgating me, and to top it all off.. the police. At this point, the fact I have a current pending ticket and the possibility of catching another sunk in me. I was a bit down. He flashed his light and forced me to get off at the next exit. When we came to a stop, I quickly turned my car off. I had to shout aloud three times to inform him the car was off (it is keyless entry/ignition).

As he approached the car, I took control of the situation, greeted him and immediately let him know the car was keyless and it was shut off. He immediately pointed to my radar detector, which is clearly visible, and asked me how much and where I purchased it from because it “Clearly did not work.” I let him know the price and location and immediately asked him why I was being pulled over. He looked at me with a guilty face and asked if I seriously asked that question. I replied yes in a strong, respectful, but serious way. He proceeded to ask me if I knew what the speed limit was on the road I was traveling. I answered his question, 40mph and he quickly followed up with the obvious question, How fast were you going? I let him know I was going the speed limit. For the following minute or so, in an aggressive tone of voice, he proceeded try to make me admit to a crime I did not commit. By this time, a small crowed of four to five people gathered, they were mostly the custodial staff from the residential building where we were stopped. The officer, a sergeant, proceeded to wave my paperwork in the air and let the crowd of people know he going to cut me a break should I have come clean but now he will have to write up a citation and I would have to tell it to the Judge. I let him know I was telling the truth and I appreciate he was trying to cut me a break, but I was not speeding and I did not know why he was pulling me over for.

He took my paperwork, shouted aloud how he tried to cut me a break and proceeds back to his cruiser. We sat there for what seemed to be an eternity and by then the crowd had begun to dissipate. Now I am in my beautiful car, sulking at the fact another check will have to be written to xxx lawyer. I will now have two court cases to look forward to sometime next year and I must stare at the look of shame and disappointment from my wife as I inform her of yet another speeding ticket. She will never understand, Damn. I then hear him call me to his cruiser and he asked me where I grew up. I let him know Brooklyn and asked why. In the computer, he pointed that it showed as if I surrendered an out of state drivers license in 2007. I let him know that was incorrect and kindly requested information on how to get it corrected as I did not want any future problems. He stated it did not matter and let me know he was cutting me a break and letting me go….what the fu…

I thanked him for cutting me a break and let him know I appreciate it and remaining courteous, let him know I got a speeding ticket a month ago and learned my lesson about the repercussions of speeding. He asked where I received it and I let him know in the Bronx. He immediately shouted the name of the officer that issued me the ticket stated he knew him quite well. We started talking about cars and along the lines asked me what was the fastest I have ever my car… I let him know I’ve never driven it faster than the speed limit. During this short time of building rapport, I got the strong thinking feeling he was trying to extract information from me. Why else would he be so quickly to ask me questions about my speeding ticket… as if he wanted to tell his buddy. My question I suppose is, can this be a possibility or am I just being paranoid. Overall he was nice and friendly… after he failed to drill me in another speeding ticket.

I apologize for the long post but sometimes I like to write.
Nice story... Would read again....

Meh... maybe not!

Isis1

I read an interesting article the other day. One of the points. Don't take over the questioning. Best way to tick an officer off. Don't ask the officer what you did wrong. It insults his intelligence no matter how you phrase it.

My husband gets annoyed with me when i am disgustingly sweet and coureous with an officer. But i've only gotten one ticket in the past five years. Even THAT ticket was a lessor charge than what it should have been. He gets pulled over alot. And he gets haggled. And cited. Yep...

I_Got_Banned

Thanks. Would you know the answer to my question?
I actually search your post for question marks "?" and didn't see any except for this: "How fast were you going?" but you were repeating what the officer asked you... :confused:

EDIT: Aaahhh, I found it... (See? I DID read it again... :rolleyes:)
Why else would he be so quickly to ask me questions about my speeding ticket… as if he wanted to tell his buddy. My question I suppose is, can this be a possibility or am I just being paranoid.
My guess is you're just paranoid... Either way, how does that impact your guilt or innocence? (It doesn't) And how would it help or hinder your defense? (It won't).

Isis1

I actually search your post for question marks "?" and didn't see any except for this: "How fast were you going?" but you were repeating what the officer asked you... :confused:

My guess is you're just paranoid... Either way, how does that impact your guilt or innocence? (It doesn't) And how would it help or hinder your defense? (It won't).
There still wasn't a question mark in there so that doesn't count! :p

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...he proceeded try to make me admit to a crime I did not commit.
Please, stop being so dramatic. Speeding is not a crime in New York State.

Your story is ridiculous and pointless.

I suggest you watch your driving since you obviously have issues. And please stop wasting everyone's time by posting stories for no reason.

You Are Guilty

Definitely paranoid.

Oh, and stop lying to the police ("I've never driven it faster than the speed limit"). That's the sort of thing that gets you in trouble. Better to say nothing at all.

Zigma

Please, stop being so dramatic. Speeding is not a crime in New York State.

Your story is ridiculous and pointless.

I suggest you watch your driving since you obviously have issues. And please stop wasting everyone's time by posting stories for no reason.
Mr. Highwayman, With all due respect, I am sorry you believe my original post is ridiculous and pointless. When it comes to wasting everyone’s time however, this is, what I believe an open forum for discussion. I do not feel I am wasting anyone’s time as I am not forcing you or anyone else to read or comment. It is however very much appreciated.

I will take your suggestion and watch my driving. I honestly have been doing so since my first initial ticket and I was upset about getting pulled over for doing nothing. You are an officer and I know in your eyes, everyone who is ever pulled over by a law enforcement officer is guilty. I will not debate this with you or anyone else.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Mr. Highwayman, With all due respect, I am sorry you believe my original post is ridiculous and pointless. When it comes to wasting everyone’s time however, this is, what I believe an open forum for discussion. I do not feel I am wasting anyone’s time as I am not forcing you or anyone else to read or comment. It is however very much appreciated.

I will take your suggestion and watch my driving. I honestly have been doing so since my first initial ticket and I was upset about getting pulled over for doing nothing. You are an officer and I know in your eyes, everyone who is ever pulled over by a law enforcement officer is guilty. I will not debate this with you or anyone else.
I'm not a LEO
You ARE wasting my time

:rolleyes:

Zigma

Okay, to answer your questions, At that current point in time, I could not understand why he would be asking these types of questions other than trying to extract information. From my understanding, police cruisers are all equipped with surveillance equipment which includes open microphones.

Never mind the original post as it is in the past but in law but, what are the general guidelines of incriminating and non-incriminating information when captured in this type of scenario. I might be going off topic but I have never studied law and it strikes me with curiosity.

demurringdude: I agree and apologize. I have an eidetic memory and when I write such events on paper, I do get carried away with detail.

You are guilty: I will make sure not to make the same mistake again. I agree saying nothing is the best alternative. Let me ask you a question however, answering such a question that can be used to incriminate is obviously bad. I believe pleading the 5th is usually an acceptable responds but for such a question (not traffic related but a criminal/court) could it be held against you? Would it makes you contempt of court (Is this the correct term?) due to the fact you wish not answer such question being asked by a judge or prosecutor? Under what circumstances must a defendant give up that right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">