• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident with head injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

homespunschool

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

sorry this is rather lengthy.

my husband was in an auto accident jan 28, 2010. the other driver was at fault (ran a red light). the accident totaled our car, $6500 paid out by our insurance. the car had a $99 a month payment and was close to paid off. our plans upon paying it off were to by a new truck (to replace my truck), those plans have been put on hold b/c we had to buy a replacement car $168 per month. i don't know if this inconvienence will matter or not.

our rental car was $180, also paid by our insurance co.

we were also in the process of buying a house, and were told not to do anything to affect our credit. this greatly stressed us. our mortgage broker at the time told us to keep quiet about it or our credit may be run again and we could loose the deal. luckily it all when through but not without extra stress. again, don't know if this will matter or not.

injuries:
shoulder and knee pain, has subsided
3 inch gash in the top of his head, no stitches required, noticeable scar (short hair) and still tender
i believe he still has some memory and irritability issues, but he argues that he is fine (stubborn)
he refused ambulance, but i did take him to the er, as he was babbling about nonsense.
i did also take him to urgent care 3 days later b/c he was still babbling about nonsense, the dr said he had a concussion

medical bills $3933 (some paid by our insurance, some not paid yet, one we had to fight with the other insurance company to pay, b/c we were sent to collections on it)

lost wages $727 (again stubborn, should have stayed home but didn't, did i also mention he is a workaholic?)

the insurance adjuster has made an offer of $2000 plus the $727 in lost wages. this seems very, very low to us. i've done the caluclations, 1.5-4 mulitipliers, but still don't fully understand. out of those amounts, are we required to pay back the medical ourselves, or is that above those amounts?

we are not greedy people, we just want was is fair, and this had caused a large amount of stress. for months we didn't even know which insurance company was handling it, back and forth between the man's personal insurance and his work insurance (he was up here on business). his work insurance has decided they are responsible and we are wondering if that is why we are getting such a raw deal.

any input would be helpful. thank you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">