• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Ticket in Manchester, Connecticut

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ranzell

I currently live in Andover, CT but was citted for a ticket in Manchester CT for "Failure to obey traffic control". As I reached the stop line at a 4 way intersection the light turned orange, I continued through and saw the officer to my right. She proceeded to pull me over and gave me said ticket. The fine is 124$ and while i'd like to get that price lowered I'd also like any points removed. Is contesting a viable option? Are there fees I'd incure in doing so that would compile with my 124 if I was found guilty? Thanks

You can go look at the timing of the lights to see if the yellow was long enough. But other than that as a total defense, you can go to your pre-trial conference & you will likely get it knocked down to about $60 bucks with the DA in the pre-trial conference. I don't know about getting it off your points but you can ask the DA during the pre-trial conference. You also might want to call your state representatives about red light cameras; there have been a push to get these in your state.

Ranzell

Appreciate the reply. How long is a yellow light supposed to stick around for? I think I'll go for the pre-trial conference but I'm still unsure, are there court fees that have to be paid?

Appreciate the reply. How long is a yellow light supposed to stick around for? I think I'll go for the pre-trial conference but I'm still unsure, are there court fees that have to be paid?
It depends on the speed limit of the road & maybe the traffic survey. Generally between 3.5-4.5 sec. If you do time it (measure 5 times & take the avg) post the result with the speed limit of the road. People might post an answer.

From what I have seen, the $60 bucks might cover it all bu this depends on the DA working at the time. Good luck.

I currently live in Andover, CT but was citted for a ticket in Manchester CT for "Failure to obey traffic control". As I reached the stop line at a 4 way intersection the light turned orange, I continued through and saw the officer to my right. She proceeded to pull me over and gave me said ticket. The fine is 124$ and while i'd like to get that price lowered I'd also like any points removed. Is contesting a viable option? Are there fees I'd incure in doing so that would compile with my 124 if I was found guilty? Thanks
Also, in CT, you normally cannot have a traffic ticket hearing by a trial by jury. But you can get one if you ask for a formal information be filed by the DA; then the CT Constitution kicks in when you request a trial by jury.
I know of no one who has done this for a simple traffic ticket but it is allowable. It may be that the DA would not want to file an information. Then it would appear as if you could ask for a dismissal.

The section of CT Practice Rules is included below. I personally would ask for an information in respect to speeding cases.

Sec. 36-11. Information and Complaint; Use
All felonies shall be prosecuted by information.
All misdemeanors, violations, and infractions shall
be prosecuted by information or complaint. In all
jury cases, and in all other cases on written
request of the defendant, the prosecuting authority
as of course shall issue an information in place
of the uniform summons and complaint.
(P.B. 1978-1997, Sec. 616.)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If points are a concern then READ the ticket.

If you pay it by mail you get no points on your record.

HighwayMan

The section of CT Practice Rules is included below. I personally would ask for an information in respect to speeding cases.

What's your experience with Connecticut traffic courts and traffic law?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you plead no contest, no points but you have to pay the fine on the ticket. If you go to the pre-trial conference, you will pay less & it will be up to the DA if points are assessed. If you go to trial, then you would need a good defense that would counter the officer's visual recollection. Highwayman, knowitall did not say it was a speeding ticket; knowitall said that he would do the information request with speeding tickets, not stop light tickets. Knowitall seems to have done a good job here giving the OP all of the options (I would assume the OP can read the ticket so your advice offers nothing to the OP) available. Good job knowitall. You know your Connecticut traffic laws and court rules very well.

HighwayMan

If you plead no contest, no points but you have to pay the fine on the ticket. If you go to the pre-trial conference, you will pay less & it will be up to the DA if points are assessed...Good job knowitall. You know your Connecticut traffic laws and court rules very well.
There is no "no contest". It's a guilty plea. Read the back of the ticket and this is stated plain as day.

And what do YOU know about Connecticut? Sounds like you and knowitall are the same person.

By the way, there are no DA's in Connecticut. So much for either one of you knowing anything about Connecticut traffic tickets and trials.

There is no "no contest". It's a guilty plea. Read the back of the ticket and this is stated plain as day.

And what do YOU know about Connecticut? Sounds like you and knowitall are the same person.

By the way, there are no DA's in Connecticut. So much for either one of you knowing anything about Connecticut traffic tickets and trials.
In CT it is a criminal charge & YES there is a DA. Why do you post such nonsense? To show off your GED? Go away.

HighwayMan

There are no district attorney's in Connecticut.

There are prosecutors but they are NOT called District Attorneys.

HighwayMan

In CT it is a criminal charge
You are the one smoking the funny cigarettes.

In Connecticut violations and infractions are not crimes - there is only the possibility of a fine.

If you have any questions I suggest you contact the Centralized Infractions Bureau for clarification.

If the ticket is paid by mail and is disposed of by the CIB no points get assessed by the DMV, however the infraction still appears on your driving history.

If a not guilty plea is entered the CIB will transfer the case to the Court in the GA where the ticket was issued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">