• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traffic Citation "misdemeanor" in Las Vegas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cali062265

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I was involved in a car accident in Las Vegas. The cop gave me a citation, which only has the date and time to appear in court. When I checked the court's website, I found out the fine AND the charge was misdemeanor (I plan on going to court to contest the charge or just pay the fine and complete a traffic class). My questions are, why would this be a misdemeanor instead of infraction? I also am in my second year of DUI probation in California. I am very concern how this charge would affect my probation. Did I violate my probation? Any insights or advice is very much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

CdwJava

As this was in Nevada, they operate on their criminal justice system, not ours. Apparently Nevada has no "infractions" as they are spelled out in CA so they go with misdemeanors. This is not uncommon. Some states have a civil or non-criminal violation for lesser offenses, others like CA have infractions which are punishable by a fine only, others do not.

So, you have to deal with this.

As to whether it can violate your probation in CA? Yes it can, though it probably will not ... unless, of course, you had alcohol in your system.

Cali062265

Thank you so much! I had no alcohol in my system. It was a lane change where my car was hit in the rear. The cop said I was at fault and gave me a citation. I was just wondering if I should just pay the fine and get on with my life. But, I got really concern if I committed a violation of my DUI probation because of the misdemeanor charge. I really appreciate your input. I thank you so very much. God bless!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">