• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dual left turn lanes turning onto 3-lane street

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

This question is concerning signalized intersections. When there are two left turn lanes turning onto a street that has three lanes, which two lanes should the cars end up in? The left lane and middle lane, right??

justalayman

whatever the lane markers direct them to.

concerning the 3 lane road; are they all regular driving lanes?

explain the situation and if possible, include a link to a Google Earth shot.

tack

There aren't any lane markers to guide the cars into the proper lanes. All 3 lanes on the new street are regular driving lanes. Many of the streets here (Las Vegas) are like this. Sorry I don't have google earth or any photos.

justalayman

then as long as nobody crashes, I wouldn't think there wouldn't be any requirement to go to any particular lane. I suppose it would pose a serious problem should there be an accident if both parties tried to claim rights to the center lane though.

Did something happen? Is there a citation with a statute number listed?

can you give street names for the intersection? and the proper city of course.

Last edited:

tack

A guy nearly sideswiped me at that intersection because he thought we were supposed to end up in the middle lane and right lane.

justalayman

there is a sign between the left two traffic lights on the arm over the road as you face west on windmill. It shows 2 arrows and has some writing on it. I cannot read the writing. Any idea what is written there?

tack

I believe that sign says "only" under the two left turn arrows.

I've been living here for 5 years now and this has always bothered me. People seem to usually end up in the left lane and center lane. I have tried looking all over for the law, but have found nothing regarding this. I want to be sure that I am correct in case someone does hit me.

Banned_Princess

If I'm in the left, left turning lane, I turn into the far left lane (first turning lane goes into the first straight lane) , and the right left turning lane goes to the middle or right lane. (as in the second turning lane goes into the second or third straight lane...) sounds very common sensible to me.

So I agree with the other driver, you were wrong.

aldaron

Inside lane always turns into inside lane, lane next to inside lane will turn into 2nd lane etc. Same applies to right turns except youll start with the outside lanes.

tack

If I'm in the left, left turning lane, I turn into the far left lane (first turning lane goes into the first straight lane) , and the right left turning lane goes to the middle or right lane. (as in the second turning lane goes into the second or third straight lane...) sounds very common sensible to me.

So I agree with the other driver, you were wrong.
No, you are actually agreeing with me. :p The other driver thought that we were supposed to end up in the middle and right lanes.

Banned_Princess

No, you are actually agreeing with me. :p The other driver thought that we were supposed to end up in the middle and right lanes.
So then there should have been no problem if you were going to the left lane, and he was turning into the right or middle lane.....

tack

So then there should have been no problem if you were going to the left lane, and he was turning into the right or middle lane.....
I was in the right-hand left turn lane, he was in the left one. We both thought that we were supposed to end up in the middle lane.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">