• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reckless driving (spinning tires

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vadrift

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? virginia beach virginia

i was stopped for spinning tires out of a light and got charged with reckless driving , this is my second reckless charge. i spun tires but was stopped a traffic light after it happened. idk if it matters but the first thing the cop did was check the tires and said that they were sticky, the car is a 1999 mustang gt. its not my car is my brothers and it was the first time driving it. i drive a 99 mazda miata so i wasnt used to the racing clutch my brother had put on his car. when the light turned green the car spun tires but i slowed down and kept driving cause i didnt think anyone saw me. i already got one continuance for this case cause i was just starting school. my court date is tomorrow but i didnt have enough money to get a lawyer and dont want to go without one. im going tomorrow to get a lawyer since i getting paid tomorrow but dont know what to do towards getting another continuance. i dont wanna put something on the request that will make it not get accepted. im attending college, cant miss 4 more days of college or my classes will be dropped. i work so i cant afford to get my license taken away . will be willing to do community service just need help on how to go forward with thisWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

those are all very good and valid reasons to request a continuance. good luck with it. Its in the hands of the judge. I would make sure i itemized my reasons in a succinct list.

FlyingRon

It would seem from your user name that perhaps we aren't getting the whole story. Someone who claims to be a drift driver probably did more than inadvertantly spin the tires a bit pulling away from a light.

Reckless Driving is SERIOUS. It's a misdemeanor. Despite the misinformation, college classes is NOT frequently going to be a valid reason for continuances. Asking for the opportunity to obtain counsel is, provided that you weren't advised at the previous continuance to obtain counsel. If you get a continuance, it would behoove you to show up with counsel next time, you'll be going to trial immediately. GDC judges get tired of being played with by punks.

If your record is clean you can try to get a plea to reduce this in favor of taking a driver improvement class. However, if you've got a string of violations racked up they will be disinclined to offer it.

If there is any smell in the trial that you were racing you are risking spending a few days in jail. You can COUNT on at least 60 days of license suspension.
A restricted license and its terms are entirely at the discretion of the judge in this case. I guarantee you if you are caught driving (or exceeding your restrictions) you will be very lucky NOT to end up in jail. Judges will read that riot act to you when they issue your sentence.

Expect a fine and costs. While they'll make payment arrangements, they're not going to let you slide.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? virginia beach virginia

i was stopped for spinning tires out of a light and got charged with reckless driving , this is my second reckless charge. i spun tires but was stopped a traffic light after it happened. idk if it matters but the first thing the cop did was check the tires and said that they were sticky, the car is a 1999 mustang gt. its not my car is my brothers and it was the first time driving it. i drive a 99 mazda miata so i wasnt used to the racing clutch my brother had put on his car. when the light turned green the car spun tires but i slowed down and kept driving cause i didnt think anyone saw me. i already got one continuance for this case cause i was just starting school. my court date is tomorrow but i didnt have enough money to get a lawyer and dont want to go without one. im going tomorrow to get a lawyer since i getting paid tomorrow but dont know what to do towards getting another continuance. i dont wanna put something on the request that will make it not get accepted. im attending college, cant miss 4 more days of college or my classes will be dropped. i work so i cant afford to get my license taken away . will be willing to do community service just need help on how to go forward with thisWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You can quit with the classes-are-all-important routine. Go see a lawyer; from what you said here you are probably not guilty. Ask for an extension of time to get an attny 7 and then get one. If you dont get one then I would assume that you have not told all the facts here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can quit with the classes-are-all-important routine. Go see a lawyer; from what you said here you are probably not guilty. Ask for an extension of time to get an attny 7 and then get one. If you dont get one then I would assume that you have not told all the facts here.
Oh BROTHER :rolleyes:

antrc170

I think the law disagress with you...

§ 46.2-852. Reckless driving; general rule.

Irrespective of the maximum speeds permitted by law, any person who drives a vehicle on any highway recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person shall be guilty of reckless driving.

I think the law disagress with you...

§ 46.2-852. Reckless driving; general rule.

Irrespective of the maximum speeds permitted by law, any person who drives a vehicle on any highway recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person shall be guilty of reckless driving.
And what facts presented shows he endangered anything? Spinning tires? The ground is not something you can endanger. Duh.

FlyingRon

His own car and person are included in the "property and persons."

Further there are a dozen ways (of which the part that antrc posted is just one) getting a reckless conviction here in the Commonwealth. I can imagine two or three of them that might apply here.

I've seen guys locked up for doing wheelies too.

His own car and person are included in the "property and persons."

Further there are a dozen ways (of which the part that antrc posted is just one) getting a reckless conviction here in the Commonwealth. I can imagine two or three of them that might apply here.

I've seen guys locked up for doing wheelies too.
There are probably an untold # of facts that would support a conviction under this law. But does squealing your tires for 1/10th of a second qualify for a conviction if this is the only evidence supporting a claim? I would say no. The OP lists no other reason so I go strictly by what he posts. If he does not post ALL the facts then he has himself to blame for misrepresenting the facts. Beats me one way or the other.

FlyingRon

There are probably an untold # of facts that would support a conviction under this law. But does squealing your tires for 1/10th of a second qualify for a conviction if this is the only evidence supporting a claim? I would say no. The OP lists no other reason so I go strictly by what he posts. If he does not post ALL the facts then he has himself to blame for misrepresenting the facts. Beats me one way or the other.
Of course not, but given what he was driving and the user name he chose, I doubt seriously that he just "chirped" the tires. Since we don't have the statement of what the police accused him of doing, nor a credible description of what he did, he needs to consult a lawyer rather. I guarantee you the judge will give him the same advice if he shows up in court without one (they will do this on any traffic offense which is a misdemeanor).

The implications of the reckless I described are REAL. This is not something to screw with. He can try getting the Commonwealth's attorney to drop the charge down to something like careless driving which is not a crime (perhaps for taking driving school) but as I said, if he has a record of traffic offenses this won't usually be on the table. If it goes to trial, he needs a lawyer. Depending on the actual circumstances, there are a lot of judges that WILL sentence him to 60 days (suspended to just a few days, but they hold the rest of the sentence over them to make sure they don't drive under suspension, etc....).

Of course not, but given what he was driving and the user name he chose, I doubt seriously that he just "chirped" the tires. Since we don't have the statement of what the police accused him of doing, nor a credible description of what he did, he needs to consult a lawyer rather. I guarantee you the judge will give him the same advice if he shows up in court without one (they will do this on any traffic offense which is a misdemeanor).

The implications of the reckless I described are REAL. This is not something to screw with. He can try getting the Commonwealth's attorney to drop the charge down to something like careless driving which is not a crime (perhaps for taking driving school) but as I said, if he has a record of traffic offenses this won't usually be on the table. If it goes to trial, he needs a lawyer. Depending on the actual circumstances, there are a lot of judges that WILL sentence him to 60 days (suspended to just a few days, but they hold the rest of the sentence over them to make sure they don't drive under suspension, etc....).
Well, I give the OP the benefit of the doubt where his statements are true; if he actually burned his tires for 10-20 ft then you may be right on his punishment.

Antigone*

There are probably an untold # of facts that would support a conviction under this law. [B]But does squealing your tires for 1/10th of a second qualify for a conviction if this is the only evidence supporting a claim?[/B] I would say no. The OP lists no other reason so I go strictly by what he posts. If he does not post ALL the facts then he has himself to blame for misrepresenting the facts. Beats me one way or the other.
1/10 of a second huh:confused: Your credibility as a contributor to this forum continues to flounder, if it even can.

1/10 of a second huh:confused: Your credibility as a contributor to this forum continues to flounder, if it even can.
You made a mistake; its "doing great" not "flounder". I just put out queries & comments & advice. 1/10th of a second is actually a long time & may be reasonable given what the OP stated. Your comments need to be proof read before posting..."flounder" instead of "doing great"; you can do better than that :rolleyes::cool::p:eek::(;):D:eek::confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You made a mistake; its "doing great" not "flounder". I just put out queries & comments & advice. 1/10th of a second is actually a long time & may be reasonable given what the OP stated. Your comments need to be proof read before posting..."flounder" instead of "doing great"; you can do better than that :rolleyes::cool::p:eek::(;):D:eek::confused:
Your advice and information is actually doing the same as always...just as terrible as ever!

I no more will look at this thread, getting too long & boring.:p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">