• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to add another executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tenant08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

My sister is currently my mother's executor. This was set up when I lived in another town. Now I have moved back home and take care of my mother. My mother and I want to add me as a co-executor.

What do we need to do to change her will to have my sister and I as co-executors?

tranquility

Don't do it.

Have only one person nominated as executor. More than one will cause problems. *An* executor can wind up an estate efficiently. Executor*s* will extend the time of closing and will cause additional professional fees over disagreements.

There are always disagreements.

I know, I know. Sister is bad, cheating or whatever. If so, *change* the person being nominated to be executor. Don't make two.

tenant08

Sister is not bad, cheating, whatever.
I appreciate hearing your opinion but I was asking how to go about adding another executor.

tranquility

It is an opinion based on years of experience.

Maybe someone will help you commit family suicide. I won't. Good luck with your future infighting.

THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE TO HAVING TWO EXECUTORS. THERE ARE ONLY PROBLEMS.

garrula lingua

I agree with Tranquil.
I'm sure he's seen many, many cases where loving relatives wound up fighting terribly.
OP it isn't really personal - sometimes the system/process makes you crazy (and frequently third parties cause problems.
Co-executors rarely work. In some cases it requires both to agree and it usually causes more attorney fees and court appearances.

Sometimes, a person in that line of work may seem harsh, presumptuous and rude, but they are only being factual - they have seen it too many times.
It's not a personal observation about you; it's the commonality of the experience for the majority of Coexecutors.

garrula lingua

OP why don't you have Mom redo the will with you as executor and Sid as alternate ?
Is Mom capable of executing a new will?
It's a whole lot easier for one person to have the authority to deal with financial institutions,etc.
Also, make sure that you do a Power of Attorney - Financial and a PoA Medical. Do one agent (you) with Sis as an alternate.
Consider an Advance Directive and a Declaration of Guardianship also.
Good luck & you owe Tranquil an apology.
His comment wasn't personal - it was excellent legal advice.
Yes, I am an attorney, licensed in Tx.
There are statutory forms in the Tx Probate Code for the PoA, but you should really see an Elder Law attorney for a will with a self-proving affidavit and to have a review of Mom's beneficiary designations and potential estate tax or Medicaid issues.

latigo

I was asking how to go about adding another executor.
Have your mother meet with her attorney to draw a codicil to her will nominating the two of you to serve as co-executors. No big deal! And very common.

But have it done professionally so that it will stand up!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">