• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto cccident due to mechanic negligence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryanid77

I had a local auto shop in MD do a state inspection on my car when I bought it in Jan this year. They said I would need to replace both front ball joints to pass , so I authorized the repair and they certified the vehicle. A few weeks ago on the hwy my steering gives out causing significant damage, according to insurance and the dealership the shop put the wrong nut on the balljoint. The damage is around $2200. If I was traveling the normal speed on the hwy this would have been disastrous, luckily I had just slowed down due to traffic when this happened. What are my options? Should I just ask the shop to reimburse me for the repair costs? Or can I sue for more because I went through my insurance and now my rates could go up, also the diminished value of my car along with any issues I might encounter down the road if other problems creep up from this damage.

Mass_Shyster

You can ask for anything, and, in fact, sue for anything. The questions is: Will you get it?

If you recover the $2,200 for the repair, you will have to return to the insurance company whatever they paid out.

If you return the payment, I don't think your rates should go up. (They might - insurance companies don't make sense, they make profits)

You may be able to recover the decreased value as well.

You will not recover anything for what might happen later.

ecmst12

If the shop is liable, your insurance will pursue them for reimbursement. If they succeed, you should not even be charged with an at-fault accident, and you will get your deductible back. Did you damage any other cars or just yours?

ryanid77

If the shop is liable, your insurance will pursue them for reimbursement. If they succeed, you should not even be charged with an at-fault accident, and you will get your deductible back. Did you damage any other cars or just yours?
The damage was to my car only. I will talk to my insurance again but so far they don't seem keen on pursuing the shop for reimbursment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">