• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SUED, can they go after spouse bank a/c

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unDisclosedIL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Hi,

If I am sued beyond policy limits, can they go after my spouse' bank a/c. when we got married he made it a joint a/c. shd I ask him to take my name out , so that his assets are safe ? . pls advise. as the auto accient took place before we got married, i dont want him to take the blame for me.

thanks.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Hi,

If I am sued beyond policy limits, can they go after my spouse' bank a/c. when we got married he made it a joint a/c. shd I ask him to take my name out , so that his assets are safe ? . pls advise. as the auto accient took place before we got married, i dont want him to take the blame for me.

thanks.
Separate your finances. Close the joint accounts and do no co-mingle the funds.

unDisclosedIL

Thank you . by close joint a/c , do you mean that I can ask my husband to change it from joint a/c to the a/c in his name right ?

Antigone*

Thank you . by close joint a/c , do you mean that I can ask my husband to change it from joint a/c to the a/c in his name right ?
He will have to close the joint account and open a new one with his name only. You also need to make sure you don't co-mingle funds.

unDisclosedIL

Thank you. what about direct deposit of my salary.Untill now, I used to transfer 50% to the joint a/c and rest to my a/c.
Will they know that I was transfering money to joint a/c until now.
and also shd i transfer the money to my a/c only from now on or shd I transfer it to his sole a/c , so that i can save the money.

Dave1952

Why aren't you asking this of your attorney? Auto cases usually have attorneys.
If you and your husband commingled your assets before the accident then the other party is entitled to collect from the commingled assets. Trying to separate them now is fraud.
Once this mess is over you may disentangle your finances. If you do it now and get caught they will make you very unhappy.

Good luck

Antigone*

If you and your husband commingled your assets before the accident then the other party is entitled to collect from the commingled assets. Trying to separate them now is fraud.
Once this mess is over you may disentangle your finances. If you do it now and get caught they will make you very unhappy.

Good luck
Really, :confused: please cite your source.

Please name the statute that states is is illegal to establish and keep separate bank accounts.

Isis1

Good luck
You know for a sec i was all...:O

Then i saw who posted this... So now i'm all :rolleyes:

ecmst12

Duplicate thread.

Your cart is way before your horse. I keep telling you to QUIT WORRYING about every little possibility. This isn't going to be resolved in a day or a week. But it will be resolved, and the OVERWHELMINGLY likely outcome is that it will settle within your policy limits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">