• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

palmtrees28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
new york

my ex keyed my car is there a way i can prove he did it? can they match up the scratches with his keys?

ecmst12

Along with millions of other similar keys. To prove it was him, you'd need someone who saw him do it.

Some Random Guy

Come on racer, you know you work at the super secret CSI lab, and you do this kind of stuff everyday
Actually, this was part of a recent episode of "The Closer" where a car of a murder victim was keyed when a security camera was momentarily turned away. The crime lab matched the auto paint in the key grooves to that of the car.

Of course, this is just a TV show and that's not going to happen in real life.

ecmst12

In the course of a MURDER investigation, the use of expensive forensic testing might be justified. For garden variety vandalism, no way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">