• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first speeding ticket in iowa, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

santan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: Iowa

I got a speeding ticket on Sep 3rd 2010 for speed 75 in 65 Zone on I80. The court date will be on Oct 5th, 2010. Since this is my first speeding offense, I sent a letter to court to request taking the traffic school so that I can keep this speeding ticket off my record.

But today I get court's reply and the request was DENIED. The reply is as following:
1) The request to dismiss the Defendant' charge upon completion of traffic school is denied unless approved by the Johnson County Attorney's Office.

2) The Defendant must enter a plea in writing before October 5, 2010, or appear for initial appearance on that date.

Here's my questions:

1. The request to take traffic school is denied, what does "unless approved by the Johnson County Attorney's Office" in reply 1) mean??

2. In 2), do I have to write something like plea to court again? even I pay the penalty online? I don't quite understand that.

3. If I appear on court, can I ask the judge again about taking traffic school to keep the ticket off my record? This is what I hope no matter pay the money or not. Or I have to plea not guilty if I appear on court?

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">