• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City called on unpermitted appt., Do I still pay rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jazleen07

California.
My landlord rented a garage, converted into an appartment and now the city has found that it was constructed without permits. My landlord is trying to fight the city for permitts. While this continues in court, can my landlord collect my rent? Can she charge me if she has been caught without permitts and without reporting the money? Please help.
ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dave1952

Are you living in this illegal apartment? The landlord can not force you to pay for an illegal apartment. But I doubt he'll continue to rent to you after he gets the C of O if you screw him over the rent. And he can certainly deny you access to this garage that you can not occupy.
You haven't won legal lotto. Keep paying your rent or move.

Good luck

jazleen07

THANKS! no I am paying my rent the LL just hasent collected for two months she comes to clean and do yeard work but she hasent cashed my checks and she wont answer my calls. I was just wondering is maybe she isnt allowed to charge me during this process. All I know is that she has to go to court with the city. Now if I move out before she says anything to me can I still get my deposit back ?

Dave1952

If you want to move you may. The landlord can not enforce any lease. It would be courteous to give 30 days notice, though.
Why would the landlord get to keep the deposit? Have you damaged his property?
If you like the landlord and the apartment don't move unless you are ordered to.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">