• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DWLS in MI?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beejay76

DWLS in MI, 1st offence?

What is the name of your state (MI)?

I live in MI. Last March I got a ticket for tinted windows in my car. Windows were already tinted when I purchased the car. Due to financial constraints I wasn't able to pay the ticket and recently got pulled over because the Trooper said he couldn't read my plate sticker. He still let me drive home knowing my license was suspended. My license was suspended due to not paying the previous ticket so I got a ticket and recently went to court and plead guilty. I have no previous record and no points on my license. I've never had to stand in front of a judge and I have no idea what to expect. I understand we all have problems and this was a ticket that slipped my mind and I know the judge and Prosecuting attorney have heard sob stories millions of times. I have a wife and 4 kids to support and I'm the sole provider for this family and I drive 60mi round trip for work. I'm wondering if this is something I can explain at sentencing to maybe get a reduced charge or if there's anything I could do at sentencing, including trying to contact Prosecuting Attorney before court date to work something out. I'm new to all of this so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

I got a ticket and recently went to court and plead guilty.
You plead "guilty" or "not guilty"?

1. If you plead "guilty" then all you can hope for is a reduced penalty...
2. If you plead "not guilty" then you can try to negotiate with the prosecutor to see if they'd be willing to reduce the charge (i.e. allow you to plead to a lesser charge).

Either way, nobody can tell you exactly what could happen as it all can depend on the judge and/or the prosecutor.

Last edited:

justalayman

this is from the Michigan Secretary of State's website:
DWLS (Driving While License Suspended)

Up to $500 fine, up to 93 days in jail, or both.
Mandatory additional suspension.
$500 Driver Responsibility Fee for two consecutive years.

DWLS (second offense)
Up to $1,000 fine, up to one year in jail, or both.
Vehicle may be immobilized for up to 180 days.
$500 Driver Responsibility Fee

DWLS (third offense-must have two priors within seven years-misdemeanor)
License plate confiscated.
Vehicle immobilized 90 to 180 days.

DWLS (fourth offense-must have three priors within seven years-misdemeanor)
Same as for third offense.

DWLS (fifth offense-must have four priors within seven years-misdemeanor)
License plate confiscated.
Vehicle immobilized one to three years.
You might want to consult a lawyer who might try to negotiate this to "No Valid Operator's License on Person"

DWLS used to have a mandatory 3 days in the pokey. I guess they dropped that when they tossed on that $1000 driver's responsibility fee.

You did catch that "mandatory additional suspension", right?

Beejay76

Thanks for the feedback guys. I chose to not get a court appointed Attorney and I can't afford one. Would it not be a wise choice to get a hold of the prosecuting attorney myself and try and work something out or is this something that is just not done? Like I said, new to all of this. Thanks!

justalayman

you can always try.

Whether you will be successful will be based on your negotiating skills and how receptive the ADA is. That is the benefit of an attorney as they know why the ADA might accept the deal and uses that in the negotiations.

Beejay76

Just an update. Went to court today for sentencing. I contacted the DA and she worked out a deal with me. Instead of being charged with DWLS, it was dropped down to allowing another person to drive while there license was suspended and a $250 fine, still a misdemeanor but fines are less. Already took care of fine today, problem is, I can't find anywhere online what the punishment is from the SOS for the lesser offence. Anybody have a idea? SOS is closed today in MI. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">