• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When to take the deposition of the Officer before trial??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? any

Most all people do not take advantage of deposing a police officer prior to trial (when they have this available). But in situations where the fine is high or severe points can be assessed against your license (or loss of the license) or where you feel the cop is going to lie then you should. The only disadvantage of taking an officer's deposition is cost and time. The disadvantage of not taking his deposition before trial would include him making surprise statements (he may confuse you with another case) or statements of facts that you were not aware of (you are concentrating on the road, not where cops are sitting or hiding). Of course, in his deposition, he will not have his ticket to recollect his memory (like in court) so if you can show that he cannot recall any of the traffic stop this would give grounds for filing a motion of dismissal (if allowed) if he is the only witness against you. You can also ask him questions of other traffic stops made that day; in a deposition you can almost ask him any question, including an extensive series of backround questions that may lead to his impeachment as a witness. Of course the deposition may not help you at all at trial to impeach him but it may provide you with the information needed to determine if a plea offer is a good deal for you. The downside is that it may just be an added cost to your litigation expenses without a guarantee of an outcome of the trial. I would recommend a deposition if the fee/fine is greater than $300 or it puts your license in a precarious position. Of course, if your insurance would double or have no effect, that is another consideration in respect to the cost limit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you're going to post "advice" like this, you need to specify WHICH jurisdictions it applies to. To do otherwise does a disservice to the posters on this forum.

If you're going to post "advice" like this, you need to specify WHICH jurisdictions it applies to. To do otherwise does a disservice to the posters on this forum.
There are too many places that would allow & disallow this to list everyone. Sorry. That's why I put (if allowed) type of language in the text. If a specific poster has a state/location & is interested they should post an interest :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There are too many places that would allow & disallow this to list everyone. Sorry. That's why I put (if allowed) type of language in the text. If a specific poster has a state/location & is interested they should post an interest :)
Oh BROTHER. THAT is why it is a disservice.

How's this: IF ALLOWED, you may go in to ANY court house in the nation wearing a gun strapped to your waist...and NOTHING ELSE.

(If allowed).

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh BROTHER. THAT is why it is a disservice.

How's this: IF ALLOWED, you may go in to ANY court house in the nation wearing a gun strapped to your waist...and NOTHING ELSE.

(If allowed).

;););););)
But you can carry a gun in some courtrooms. & yes, you can wear clothing .. I guess you want to spend time in a nudist courtroom :eek:

Maestro64

I usually do not agree with Zigner, however, giving this kind of information is meaningless without knowing the specific.

However, from my point of view, it is not in your interest to deposition the officer ahead of time for a traffic infraction, unless it is something like a DUI. Reason being it is safety to assume the officer will not remember the specific of ticket since they have probably done hundreds of other things between the ticket and the court date and unless you made the situation memorable or he went back and wrote a bunch of things on the ticket or in his log book to help refresh his memory.

I always like the person who tells the officer they plan to see them in court, making the statement can pretty much assure the officer is writing everything down.

The only thing a deposition will do is make the officer remember things you might not want them to remember. However them not remember could be used to your advantage since the office may fill in the gaps with "made up" things or what they consider "routine" things that you could possible use it against them.

Personally, I believe it is better to walk in to court without giving the other side any idea who you plan to proceed and make them prove their case and challenge everything thing they say and make them back it up. A little research and you can find out how other side presents their cases most itmes and the laws that govern the state and you are set.

CdwJava

Yes, different jurisdictions have different laws concerning this. Some states do not allow depositions in criminal cases, and even if they are civil matters the person conducting the deposition may have to pay a good chunk of dough to do this. I suspect that it is rarely cost effective to spend a few hundred dollars on a deposition in a defense over a fine worth a couple hundred dollars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">