• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrested for possession - seeking advice please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kyleseymour

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I'm being charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia as well. The paraphernalia is for a cigar that was partially gutted. I have never been in trouble with the police, these are my first offenses. What am i going to be charged with? I can't afford a lawyer so i'm assuming i'll have a court appointed one. Any advice? What kind of charges do you think i'll be looking at?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

bingster21

yes, possession of marijuana is what you will be charged with. Its a misdemeanor.

With your clean record, I couldn't see anymore than a fine or community service and maybe even a drug class. Not 100% sure though.

Possession is a minor crime, don't sweat it.

kyleseymour

i had a friend who recently had a court date for the same charges as i'm facing, he paid roughly 1000$ for a lawyer and it was reduced to just disorderly conduct. do you think maybe i should find a way to maybe take out a loan to hire a lawyer? it seems like the best option and i do not want to have a record, but the money situation is tight

FlyingRon

A lawyer would not be a bad idea. Getting it reduced to a summary offense will keep you from having a criminal record.

do all lawyers want it all at once or will some accept payments?
Depends on the individual lawyer. Some lawyers will even take credit cards, so if you have a card with any credit left on it, that might give you a leg up.

BTW, it is way worth the money if your lawyer thinks he can plea it down to an infraction. The misdemeanor record will haunt you every time you apply for a job, etc.

kyleseymour

Depends on the individual lawyer. Some lawyers will even take credit cards, so if you have a card with any credit left on it, that might give you a leg up.

BTW, it is way worth the money if your lawyer thinks he can plea it down to an infraction. The misdemeanor record will haunt you every time you apply for a job, etc.
how much do you think a cheap lawyer would be? sorry for the stupid questions but i'm desperate. i'm having a hard enough time finding a job as it is, i don't need 2 misdemeanors as well. i'm also trying to get back into school and it's going to cause trouble for financial aid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">