• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana & Paraphernalia Citations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fractalspawn

Greetings, everyone. I'm posting because I was recently in Wisconsin camping with some friends at Devil's Lake State Park and was given two citations as a result of being caught red-handed with marijuana. The two that I received were for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia (in other words, the park ranger confiscated my lighter, the pipe and what remained of its contents). I have already entered a plea of no contest for both citations by sending in payment along with signed stipulations that were on the copies of the citations given to me by the park ranger.

My questions stem from the fact that my being within a state park when the citations were given to me had some impact on the situation. That is, I looked into Wisconsin marijuana laws and found that the citations I received differed from what general Wisconsin state laws prescribed for such violations. I am applying to a program to teach English abroad in Japan and will be required to submit an FBI identification record. Should I expect these citations to appear on the record? In what way does the fact that this occurred within a state park affect the situation? I was not arrested because I did not have any prior or outstanding convictions of any sort. I am also curious as to what "citation" means in this context...is this akin to a minor traffic offense, or a full-fledged misdemeanor? Thank you in advance for your replies.

Possession of any amount of marijuana and/or paraphernalia in Wisconsin are misdemeanor offenses.

They will go on your permanent criminal record.

I don't know that I would get my hopes up for the Japan thing. Two weeks ago the Japanese customs/immigration people would not let Paris Hilton leave the airport for a scheduled two-day photo shoot for her new product line because she copped to possession of 0.8g of cocaine. Just sayin'

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">