• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership opened up credit card without authorization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Propigskin

CALIFORNIA:

I purchased a new car last week from toyota and financed through toyota financial. A week later, I receive a new credit card from toyota financial. I call the number and told them I never signed up for any credit card, only purchased a car. They said that the dealership signed me up for the credit card. There was no signed authorization on file and the dealer was in violation of Toyota corporate policy for signing me up for a credit card without my consent. Obviously the dealer probably get a small ($100-250) kickback from toyota financial for each customer to applies for a card during a loan transaction. Now, this item has shown up on my excellent credit report showing another line of credit and a cancelled card. (toyota financial said they would take care of this) I feel like my credit has been violated and will be hurt with a new line or credit and now a cancelled card. Now, my question, I know laws have been broken but what? I also feel as if I should be compensated by this shaddy dealer for effecting my credit.

I did speak with the dealer today and they admitted it was a mistake. however, he said, oh just keep the card open it wont hurt your credit and it is free. Obviously trying to get me to go away which I wont.

I am going to ask for compensation but what would I be entitled to for hurting my credit. If i refuse should I have any recourse in small claims court?

Propigskin

I do not have any monetary damage so far other than my hassles. However, my credit score will be affected by closing an account I did not open which in turn might cause me to get a higher interest rate on a future real estate loan or not be approved. (i invest in rental properties)

I know I can't show I lost XXX dollars, however, what the dealer did was dishonest and illegal and I feel they should pay damages. What say you?

sandyclaus

I say report them to the police or local District Attorney for the fraudulent actions. If they did this to you, chances are pretty good that other recent customers were victims of this action as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">