• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Adjuster Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mudslinger411

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Date of claim 8-16-2008
Claim deadline: 8-16-2010

I'll try to make a long story short. I hired a public adjuster to handle a house fire claim with my insurance company, the only reason I did it was because my sister worked for the guy at the time and she sent him over, he fed me his line of BS which I bought and I signed the contract. I've had many problems with the PA, most I have overlooked. I was wondering how long a contract with a PA remains in effect? I've looked over my contract but there is not an end date. The reason I'm asking is because I have requested a mutual release letter which he has agreed to give me but after almost a month I still haven't gotten one. Everytime I call it's the same line of crap, "oh the person you need to talk to is out of town" or "yes she'll be in today can I have her call you", needless to say I have not received a call and my e-mails are being ignored. Here's where my issue comes in, after moving back into my house the company that took our clothes and other things to be laundered failed to return any of my infant daughters clothes; instead I got 5 heavy pillows that did not belong to us. I immediately made my PA aware of this through e-mail and a phone call and he said he would handle it. Well as time went by he did nothing about it and when I questioned him he cussed me up one side and down the other, told me I was being petty and that his office had no knowledge of the missing items. I still to this day have the e-mail correspondence pertaining to this issue. The last I heard his (PA) office told me that the company claims they don't have my daughters clothes, they claimed that the weights coming in and weights going out correlated therefore I need to hire an attorney to fight this. Well of course they were probably pretty close to the weights since I got things that did not belong to me and I thought this is the type of issue my PA was supposed to fight for me! My PA told me I had 6 months to submit receipts for the depreciation on my contents, I later found out that I had 2 years. At this point I started working directly with the insurance adjuster from my insurance company. I submitted the receipts before the deadline and I asked the insurance company to take their time while I work on getting a release from my PA. I do not feel as if I owe this jerk of a PA another penny and by his lack of doing or handling issues that arose I believe he has breached our contract. I've tried being nice in order to get a release and I can't see why it has taken almost a month and I still have nothing. How can I legally dump this PA and take care of the rest of my claim dealing only with my insurance company? Any advise would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!

After posting this I got a call from the PA, he is now refusing to release me from my contract. He said the contract remains in effect forever, but they have closed my file....not sure what that means. I requested a complete copy of my claim file, he refused, I requested a copy of the contract, he refused. I am entitled to copies of my file and contract aren't I? This is BS!

The lastest....now the PA is refusing to write an exchange check. Problem with this is the check is written to me and the PA, the standard procedure is I sign the check over to him, he deducts his fees and writes me an exchange check for the difference. He told me to sit on the check and hung up on me.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">