• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

redschultz

I resigned my position on 12/29/00 because of two main reasons: 1)significant cut in pay ($49,000/yr cut in my base pay), 2)I was given a six-months assignment in Germany.

The "significant cut in pay" was due to two reasons: 1) owner's daughter embezzled money therefore insufficient cash onhand to meet payroll, 2)owner failed to successfully develop sufficient business to keep the pipeline filled.

The "six-months in Germany" was an impossible travel schedule. The travel related to this employment was stated when I accepted the job as being "mostly" in Southern California. Well, for 1 1/2 years I have traveled to Toronto, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Arizona as an employee of the company. As you can see, this was hardly SoCal travel and going to Germany for the next six-months was simply out of the question.

California EDD granted and approved my claim for unemployment compensation, but my former employer has appealed on the grounds that I quit only because I did not want to travel to Germany, not because of the significant cut in pay. She claims ignorance of the cut in pay. The cut in pay was an oral statement from her a few days before I quit, the Germany assignment came a few days after the cut in pay. I quit before the beginning of the pay period when the cut in pay would be effective. There is nothing in writing about the cut in pay, but I did not agree to it either as I needed time to think about it.

The EDD appeal hearing is scheduled in 8 working days from today. Since neither one of us has any witnesses to the "cut in pay" discussion, what can I do? Can my husband give testimony at the hearing since of course I told him all about it the day it happened?

Any advice or comments is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Deb.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">