• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent's ret funds sent to wrong person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heren916

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

* My father, a state service retiree, passed away in Sept. 1989.
* My mother, also a state service retiree, passed away in Feb. 2004
* I was the sole beneficiary and have proper documentation attesting to this.
* Prior to my mother's passing, she and I decided to have my aunt (who resided in Oregon) be executor of my mother's estate.
* After my mother died, I contacted CalPERS (Feb. 2004) to see what I needed to do re: the balance of their retirement funds.
* I was told that a check for the lump sum of $2000, which is paid to the beneficiary, would be mailed to me but that I had to wait until Probate concluded before a check could be issued for the remainder of retirement funds, approximately $13,500 - $15,000.
* March 2005, my aunt unexpectedly dies and her son is executor of her estate.
* July 2005, court appoints me as executor of my mother's estate.
* July/Aug 2007, Probate concludes.
* Sept. 2007, I contact CalPERS, as they had instructed me to do, and was told the analyst I needed to speak with was out of the office.
* Three days later, the analyst calls and tells me that case is closed and was quite defensive from the moment I said hello. When I asked about the remainder of the funds, she tells me that a check had been mailed to Oregon in Nov. 2006 and the case was closed. I asked her who the check was made out to, and she stated she did not have the file in front of her and the matter was closed. The end.
* I tried calling my cousin, emailing and sent return receipt certified letter and have never received a response from him. He did sign for the letter.
* I contacted the Probate Attorney asking what was going on and she tells me that the retirement funds should never have been included in Probate and if I want her help I would have to pay another fee - I had already paid her AND my cousin, $8,000 each.
* CalPERS recognized me as sole beneficiary and sent me $2,000 lump sum death benefit but sends the retirement fund check to my deceased aunt?
* CalPERS told me initially that I would have to wait until Probate concluded (July 2007) to receive the remainder of my mother's/father's retirement fund, yet they mailed the check Nov 2006 to my deceased aunt?
I have both my parent's wills and civil service personnel paperwork, designating me as sole beneficiary and even without that, by right of succession, the check should have been paid to me. I medically retired from state service and can't afford to hire another attorney.
I contacted McGeorge School of Law but was told the students could not handle this type of case and I contacted the Legal Aid Office only to be told it isn't something they could help me with. So, I don't know what else to do other than to appeal and plead with numerous local law firms.
This error on CalPERS part needs to be corrected and they need to be held accountable for their mistake instead of sweeping it under the carpet and brushing me off.
Could you please help me?
Sorry, it's so long.

justalayman

you will need to find out in whose name the check was written. Unless it was written to your aunt, nobody had the legal authority to cash the check. You were the exec of your mothers estate before the check was written. Your aunt was deceased before it was written as well. Since it shouldn't have been written to your aunt anyway, maybe it just hasn't been cashed.

Have you asked if the check was cashed? Maybe it is simply floundering about in Oregon and was never cashed.

heren916

Thank you so much for answering - you don't know how much I appreciate it.
I will find out about the check but I am 98% sure it was written to my aunt and then my greedy cousin, being the executor of my aunt's estate, was able to cash it. But that is just my guess. I will find out and go from there.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help me.

justalayman

I see no reason it would have been written to your aunt. Even if was for the estate of your mother, it still would have been written to your mother, the estate of your mother, or, in a stretch, to your aunt AS executor of your mother's estate.

The only reason it would have been written to your aunt, in her name, would be because that is who they determined it was owed to.

If it was written to your aunt, then you would need to find out why. If it was errantly written to your aunt, the issuers are still liable to you. They would have to attempt to recoup the errant payment from your aunt, her estate, or her son but that should not become your problem.

heren916

again thank you. You've got me wondering now, IF they believed it was owed to my aunt, what would constitute making that determination? I can think of nothing that would change the fact that I'm listed in will and State HR paperwork as sole beneficiary.

Never in a million years would I have thought my cousins capable of this. It is true what they say, death brings out the ugliness and greed in people/family.

justalayman

=heren916;2662287] State HR paperwork as sole beneficiary.
I see no reason it should ever have been sent to your aunt then as it is not a probate issue. You were bene and that is the only party it should be sent to.

Never in a million years would I have thought my cousins capable of this. It is true what they say, death brings out the ugliness and greed in people/family
.You must be quite young. Sorry to say, yes, it brings out the really ugly side of many people.

Kiawah

And why did you wait 4 years to try to resolve this, with what appears to be an administrative processing error?

Dave1952

I'm guessing here, but it sounds as if your aunt was the executor of the estate and was collecting monies and paying bills. She probably provided CALPERS with her bona fides as executor and, if so, a check would have been sent to your, now deceased, aunt. Not surprising, how would CALPERS know that she was dead? I think it should have been issued to the estate of your mother. How it could be cashed, by who, and into who's account are questions you'll need to look into. Getting the check should indicate who cashed it. Since this is a family matter your first approach to your cousin should be that the check was cashed in error and that it needs to be made good.
I think that you were the beneficiary of the death benefit but that the retirement funds went to the estate. That would explain why CALPERS told you that you wouldn't get the funds till after probate and mailed the check to the executor that they had in their records. Did you notify CALPERS in 2005 when you assumed executorship?

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">