• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gimmie-my-money!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spag_187

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

Back in November of 2005, I put a down payment/deposit ( approx $1000) on 2 handguns from a licensed firearms dealer here in the So-Cal area. My wife and I had some sever financial set backs over the past couple years and was unable to payoff the balance until now. The dealer sold my pistols, yet never notified me. I contacted the dealer and asked for at least a "Store Credit for the amount of the down payment/deposit I had given him. They said they would look up their invoice copies and get back to me within a few days. Well, that was over 3 weeks ago and now the dealer will not return my calls or emails.

I have my original invoice copies with their stamp and signature. The invoice doesn't specify in writing any time frame required by the dealer to complete a transaction or fore fit my down payment/deposit money. I understand if they are reluctant to reimburse me the cash, I'll I asked for was store credit with their establishment.

Do I have valid small claims case against this dealer? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

Antigone*

California

Back in November of 2005, I put a down payment/deposit ( approx $1000) on 2 handguns from a licensed firearms dealer here in the So-Cal area. My wife and I had some sever financial set backs over the past couple years and was unable to payoff the balance until now. The dealer sold my pistols, yet never notified me. I contacted the dealer and asked for at least a "Store Credit for the amount of the down payment/deposit I had given him. They said they would look up their invoice copies and get back to me within a few days. Well, that was over 3 weeks ago and now the dealer will not return my calls or emails.

I have my original invoice copies with their stamp and signature. The invoice doesn't specify in writing any time frame required by the dealer to complete a transaction or fore fit my down payment/deposit money. I understand if they are reluctant to reimburse me the cash, I'll I asked for was store credit with their establishment.

Do I have valid small claims case against this dealer? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

You entered into this transaction and did nothing about it for 5 years, and now you're ticked because the guy has taken three weeks?

What does your invoice say about refunds, timeframes, store credit?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California

Thanks...
You have no case...

spag_187

The invoice says absolutely nothing! There are no time frames or limitation listed. I'm not angry with the dealer, and Im not ready to take any legal action against his as of yet.

I'm just inquiring about the legal stand point of being able to receive credit with this establishment. This isn't some little mom & pop gun store, this dealership is an extremely large and well established business here in Los Angeles.

Thank you for your response!

Antigone*

The invoice says absolutely nothing! There are no time frames or limitation listed. I'm not angry with the dealer, and Im not ready to take any legal action against his as of yet.

I'm just inquiring about the legal stand point of being able to receive credit with this establishment. This isn't some little mom & pop gun store, this dealership is an extremely large and well established business here in Los Angeles.

Thank you for your response!
You have no case. Consider it a sunk cost and move on.

spag_187

One last question on the matter. Is there an actual law which states after a certain period of time, I automatically loose the down payment money?

spag_187

One last question on the matter. Is there an actual law which states after a certain period of time, I automatically loose the down payment money?
Not to beat a dead horse, but I do not see why I wouldn't be able to force the issue that the dealer should allow me a line of "store credit" for the amount I left as a down payment, regardless of the time frame. I have original invoices for these transactions, and NO TIME FRAME or STIPULATIONS are stated on these invoices by the dealer in order to complete these transaction.

So Im asking, is there a "statute of limitation" which legally prevents me from obtaining a credit from the dealer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">