• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Truck Purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danielb23

North Carolina

I bought a used truck that had supposedly passed NC state inspection.

It was "as is"... 2 days after the purchase i took it to 2 places to get an alignment, and couldn't because they told me that lots of steering parts were bad, and it could not be aligned.

Steering Mechanisms is on the inspection sheet...

$1200 in parts and labor later, i was finally able to get it aligned and safe. Can the dealer be held responsible for any of this, since they said it had passed an inspection... I have a copy of the inspection sheet, with every box checked... "Pass"

Something about that inspection, just doesn't seem right....

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Truck was sold 'as-is'; dealer is not responsible for the repair of your truck. Next time you buy a used vehicle, I'd suggest taking it to your mechanic to check out instead of relying on the seller.

Enjoy your new truck.

danielb23

It appears you didnt read what i wrote...

"I bought a used truck that had supposedly passed NC state inspection."

The inspection sheet that came with the truck said All Pass!!!

Seems a little fraudulent to me....

"Enjoy your new truck." ???

And YOU seem to be somewhat of a SmartAss!!!

Some Random Guy

"I bought a used truck that had supposedly passed NC state inspection."

The inspection sheet that came with the truck said All Pass!!!
OK, so the dealer had it inspected. If you have a problem with the inspection, sue the state of North Carolina or the technicians who did the inspection. See how far that gets you.

"Enjoy your new truck." ???

And YOU seem to be somewhat of a SmartAss!!!
What you fail to realize is that "as-is" means that it is YOUR responsibility to review the condition of the vehicle because there is no warranty whatsoever.

2 days after the purchase i took it to 2 places to get an alignment
So it was readily apparent from driving it that it needed an alignment. That should have been a huge red flag when you were considering purchasing the vehicle.

Enjoy your new truck!

swalsh411

Do you know enough about the NC State inspection process and steering systems to know that it should have failed inspection given what the alignment place has told you? it's entirely possible that the inspection amounted to little more than "do the tires turn when you turn the steering wheel?".

Dave1952

Your complaint seems to be that you purchased a truck with a valid State inspection that had major steering problems. Nowhere in your post do you take the car for a State inspection and get a rejection for "bad steering mechanism". So there is no reason to think that you were cheated.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">