• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are all the signs so far, clearly pointing for a new attorney??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acaciab2121

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I was rear ended in my sedan while stopped at a red light headed to work, by a brand new huge Chevy Tahoe going 50 mph on October 12th, 2009. The wreck totaled my car, I was rushed to the hospital by ambulance with non-life threatening injuries and eventually sent home a few hours later. There were witnesses, the driver who hit me was cited for reckless driving and a few other citations but he had full coverage so that was a big relief.
I was seeing physical therapists and a chiropractor 4 days a week, for a consistent 8 months. I had my Initial consultation with the attorney I picked out from the yellow pages and he seemed happy to take on my case. With my car being completely totaled, pictures of accident, witnesses, and the other driver taking full responsibility- why wouldnt he be? ... Well my treatments went on for 8 months and in that whole time I never once got a phone call from this attorney. I have spoken to his paralegals 7-8 times throughout this whole time and every outgoing call has been from ME. They say when I have completed therapy and the physician basically says "well your medical part is done here, there is nothing else we feel is neccessary to continue"... Then it will be time to start our claim. First, they collect all records from each establishment i went to for any type of treatment. Well there were only a few places I went to in this 8 months:
Initial hospital taken by ambulance after wreck
Urgent care facility the next day for pain medication
Physicians office/physical therapy appts held at same location
Chiropractors office
Head and spinal care treatments (seen 5 times)
And an MRI clinic suggested by physician.

I ended treatments in late April 2010, called my attorney and said I am ready to proceed now.. The paralegal told me it should take a month to reciece the records from the different establishments and they will call me to let me know when records are recieved. They have not called me, still, once. Ever.

So i call them 2 months later and ask what the status is, she says they are still waiting on a couple places. I say ok, just let me know if there is anything i can do to help because we would like to get the ball rolling before any of these bills try to go near collections. She advised me surely they would not, because the attorneys office has sent out letters of gauranteed payment or whatever the correct term of that is.. Well sure enough i get a bill from the MRI clinic, stating they need their $2500+ or i will be sent to collections. My PIP account had exceeded at some point in march, so all of my MRI scans were not covered by insurance, so the remaining establishments working with me were given a notice of promising payment when settlement arrives. I call MRI clinic and assure them this will be taken care of, hadent you recieved the notice from my attorneys office? They had nothing.

So basically, my attorney has not called me once in a whole year, they have taken 6 months as we speak to get only some of my records from these little clinics and when I call and present my potential stresses on the MRI bills going to collections, the paralegal replied (annoyingly) "Well, I dont know what to tell you, we have sent them a letter, I mean if it goes to collections then it goes to collections.. I dont know what their problem is"

I just couldnt believe it. Are you too busy to make the phone call yourself and say hey, she is in the process of receiving a settlement from an auto accident which she was not at fault.. Can I have a fax or e-mail to send this letter of protection for payment...or something?!?!?!?! I mean I am paying HER and here I am calling around all these places making sure my bills from this stupid accident i did not cause dont go to collections..

Is this how all attorneys work? I mean I hired you and for some good money you should be taking care of this petty footwork for me, i feel?

Anyways, I have a solid case here, I need advice if this is clearly red flags of some lazy unprofessional practicing.. Or should i just sit around and wait another 4,5, 6 months to hear anything. Isnt that odd they have not once ever called me, in a whole year? If I was an attorney I would have been delighted to take my case. It is October 1st, 2010. My wreck occured October 12th 2009.. Treatments ended late April, early May. They still have not obtained the simple record paperwork from the few medical establishments. What should i do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

Lawyers do everything slowly. If you want to talk to him, schedule a meeting in person. But your medical bills are your responsibility to pay. The insurance company isn't going to pay them directly, they are going to pay you. Set up a payment plan and start paying. You will get the money back when your case settles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">