• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

funeral expenses and probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

the dad

My step-daughters father passed intestate.
She is setting up funeral arrangements but the estate is tied up in probate until January or February. Neither she or her half sister can afford a funeral and she has asked if I would help fund a service for her father. (the girls are the only heirs/family)
I'm curious what expenses she can/will be reimbursed for and which she will have to eat.
She is trying to do this as inexpensively as possible but I've heard that not all funeral expenses are reimbursed.
Any information appreciated. I just want to help her through this without losing to much money.
This is in Washington state.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

I think that you would have to ask an experienced WA probate attorney for a definitive answer. The only thing that the statutes say is:
After payment of costs of administration the debts of the estate shall be paid in the following order:

(1) Funeral expenses in such amount as the court shall order.
(2) Expenses of the last sickness, in such amount as the court shall order.
(3) Wages due for labor performed within sixty days immediately preceding the death of decedent.
(4) Debts having preference by the laws of the United States.
(5) Taxes, or any debts or dues owing to the state.
(6) Judgments rendered against the deceased in his or her lifetime which are liens upon real estate on which executions might have been issued at the time of his or her death, and debts secured by mortgages in the order of their priority.
(7) All other demands against the estate.
Realistically, if the expenses are not some outrageous amount, any creditors get paid in full, and the heirs/beneficiaries are OK with the arrangements, I don't think that anybody is going to object.

the dad

Thanks for the information.

There has been some issue getting a death certificate, so cremation payment and getting her fathers ashes are on hold until that's settled.
At this point, it's been nearly a month since her dad passed and she just wants to get some kind of service completed and deal with the other after.
At one time I had heard that the estate would reimburse for payment to a funeral home only?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">