• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I Appeal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wildlands

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My first underage possession of alcohol charge was back in march. Punishment was probation under CCP and fifty hours of community service. As part of CCP, I had to complete a substance abuse class and go to NA.

Now my second charge was on May 25th, same offense. The court date kept getting set back so I wasn't in front of a judge until September 28th. This time the judge gave me a $500 fine, a 10 day jail sentence on weekends with 170 days suspended, one year suspended license, and 36 months of unsupervised probation under ASAP.

My public attorney told me that day that if I appealed that I could most likely get the jail time dropped. Also if i appleaded, would it be a wise choice to point out to the judge that the punishment process from the first offense didn't start 'til june/july?

So just wondering basically if it would be smart to appeal, or just suck it up and serve time.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My first underage possession of alcohol charge was back in march. Punishment was probation under CCP and fifty hours of community service. As part of CCP, I had to complete a substance abuse class and go to NA.

Now my second charge was on May 25th, same offense. The court date kept getting set back so I wasn't in front of a judge until September 28th. This time the judge gave me a $500 fine, a 10 day jail sentence on weekends with 170 days suspended, one year suspended license, and 36 months of unsupervised probation under ASAP.

My public attorney told me that day that if I appealed that I could most likely get the jail time dropped. Also if i appleaded, would it be a wise choice to point out to the judge that the punishment process from the first offense didn't start 'til june/july?

So just wondering basically if it would be smart to appeal, or just suck it up and serve time.
**A: hire a private attorney and ask him/her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">