• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

85 in a 55... but I was not going near 85

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelpNCGuy2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
NC

Hello. I got a ticket for going 85 in a 55 yesterday. Before you judge...please listen. He got me when it was still 65MPH but pulled me over in the 55 zone, 1.4 down the road. Not only that...it was the last day on the month. Also, I feel as if I were going with the flow of traffic...and passed one or two people. I went...maybe 75 MAX, just to pass...not normal speed.
I asked him to see the radar gun..he said no, because it would put me in danger being on the highway.... I asked him if we could go someplace safe because I would like to see it. He still said no, and I asked him why again...he said he didn't do that.

I am a good citizen...I have worked with local law enforcement to volunteer as well as par take in the citizens academy. I don't ever speed on purpose...I feel he was having a bad day or something.

Advice, and worse case senerio for me?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
NC

Hello. I got a ticket for going 85 in a 55 yesterday. Before you judge...please listen. He got me when it was still 65MPH but pulled me over in the 55 zone, 1.4 down the road. Not only that...it was the last day on the month. Also, I feel as if I were going with the flow of traffic...and passed one or two people. I went...maybe 75 MAX, just to pass...not normal speed.
I asked him to see the radar gun..he said no, because it would put me in danger being on the highway.... I asked him if we could go someplace safe because I would like to see it. He still said no, and I asked him why again...he said he didn't do that.

I am a good citizen...I have worked with local law enforcement to volunteer as well as par take in the citizens academy. I don't ever speed on purpose...I feel he was having a bad day or something.

Advice, and worse case senerio for me?
Yeah, my advice is that you really should be careful when admitting that you are oblivious to your actual speed.

Also, the officer has no legal obligation to show you his radar reading...besides, what would that prove? If it had said 85 when you looked at it, you'd claim "He must have radar'd somebody else!"

Yeah, my advice is that you really should be careful when admitting that you are oblivious to your actual speed.

Also, the officer has no legal obligation to show you his radar reading...besides, what would that prove? If it had said 85 when you looked at it, you'd claim "He must have radar'd somebody else!"
If you told the cop you did 75MPH then you are doomed. You should not talk to the cop at all. I don't know what the "citizens academy" is but it sounds like the state trying to get you to turn in your fellow citizens for minor junk.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you told the cop you did 75MPH then you are doomed. You should not talk to the cop at all. I don't know what the "citizens academy" is but it sounds like the state trying to get you to turn in your fellow citizens for minor junk.
Guess you still haven't figure out how to quote, huh? :rolleyes:

Maestro64

The Radar only tell the officer there was some object in the area going 85, it could have been that helicopter flying by since most helicopters travel around 80 to 90, unless it a turbo jet which they go faster.

Anyway, the officer is required to do a number of things before he pulls over a car, one is to maintain what is called a tracking history. He is suppose to observe the car in question make some estimate of their speed, they usually come compare that car to other cars around them. The radar units if it is a newer one will tell the officer what the average speed of the cars are and the fastest object in the area. Once he has that information then he can determine which vehicle was going the fastest.

If the officer did non of this, then it is a random guess of he pick the next car coming by his location, which happens more times than not.

You are in NC and going 85 in NC is pretty serious if I remember correctly, it think a court appears is required for being 20 over. If that is case I also believe that NC judges are not interested in people fighting their own tickets it may required a lawyer to fight this.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">