• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken wrist - driving one handed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbb87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

Does anyone know what Virginia's laws are on driving one-handed due to a broken wrist? I can't find anything about it and spent 10 minutes on hold with DMV and never got to speak to a person.

I don't want to drive one handed if it's illegal. As far as safety goes, I would need to test my limits out on the local high school's driver education range.

ecmst12

I think it's a bad idea whether it's legal or not, if you'd need to swerve quickly you'd have a hard time.

Mass_Shyster

I typically drive with one hand on the wheel and one hand resting of the shift.

If you've got power steering and an automatic transmission, I don't see any problem.

ecmst12

But...if you need to react quickly, you can put your other hand on the wheel to swerve hard.

I hope this "driver with no arms" lives very far away from me...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'll probably be using the other hand to downshift so I can accelerate.
Accelerate AND swerve violently - screw the no-armed driver, I just hope that STEVEF isn't anywhere close to me! :p

(kidding)

racer72

When I drove race cars, one of the best drivers I competed against only had one arm. Don't drive like Mario Andretti and you'll be fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">