• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of Address Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CCD2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was recently pulled over right in front of my house. The police officer came up to my window and informed me that I had "cruised" through a stop sign. He asked if I lived in the neighborhood and I told him the house we were pulled over next to was where I lived.
He took my license and registration and went back to his vehicle. He returned with two tickets. The first was for running a stop sign. The second one was for not changing my address.

My license has my address listed at my parent's house two hours away. I am a college student and spend 4 days a week at the house I was pulled over in front off. I return the other 3 days to my hometown and work. Like most college students where I live at school changes at least once a year. However, I spend 3 days a week, holidays, and every summer at my parents house. Therefore, I've always kept that as my "official" address. It is listed everywhere as my address - all my mail goes there (even the letter I received for my court date).

I politely explained this to the police officer. He stated that if you live at a place for more than 14 days you must get a new license issued to you with the new address on it. I explained to him that I never actually spent an entire 14 days straight in the house and that my parent's house is my only consistent address that never changes. He got very defensive with me and told me to stop talking back to an officer. He said he couldn't tell me how the law actually worked and if I had questions about it I should hire a lawyer.

Even though the ticket was only 115 dollars I opted to take it to court. Is there any law I can specifically point to during my hearing or will the logic of it just make sense if I explain it?

Thanks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was recently pulled over right in front of my house. The police officer came up to my window and informed me that I had "cruised" through a stop sign. He asked if I lived in the neighborhood and I told him the house we were pulled over next to was where I lived.
He took my license and registration and went back to his vehicle. He returned with two tickets. The first was for running a stop sign. The second one was for not changing my address.

My license has my address listed at my parent's house two hours away. I am a college student and spend 4 days a week at the house I was pulled over in front off. I return the other 3 days to my hometown and work. Like most college students where I live at school changes at least once a year. However, I spend 3 days a week, holidays, and every summer at my parents house. Therefore, I've always kept that as my "official" address. It is listed everywhere as my address - all my mail goes there (even the letter I received for my court date).

I politely explained this to the police officer. He stated that if you live at a place for more than 14 days you must get a new license issued to you with the new address on it. I explained to him that I never actually spent an entire 14 days straight in the house and that my parent's house is my only consistent address that never changes. He got very defensive with me and told me to stop talking back to an officer. He said he couldn't tell me how the law actually worked and if I had questions about it I should hire a lawyer.

Even though the ticket was only 115 dollars I opted to take it to court. Is there any law I can specifically point to during my hearing or will the logic of it just make sense if I explain it?

Thanks
See why you should not talk to the police at all, not even answering simple questions? Residency requirements? Cant help you w/florida law. Tried google scholar?

justalayman

do you have a specific code # for the charge?

and the officer was wrong. You need to change your address within 10 days.

is your name on the lease for the house? are utilities in your name?

Last edited:

Maestro64

Check FL law about the definition of permanent residence, because the law is that you must change your permanent address within 10 days of moving. So as long as you are maintaining your parent home as the "permanent resident" the ticket is not valid, think about this way, how many people own two homes a winter and summer home, and they are not required to change their license every time they stay at each locations.

In year past you could have two different states license, since people form the north would spend time in FL over the winter, well today you are not allow to have two license issued from two states at the same time so you license is from the state or address which is considered permanent even if you own multiply properties.

The only thing the officer told you which is true he does not know how the law works, exactly he is not a lawyer so he has not clue and he can write you up for as many violations he like and he know it would be up to the court to decide whether is interrupted correctly since he is not required to know the law or be right.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">