• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended Lic - judgement from 8 yrs ago in diff state!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justicewudbnice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

In 2002 I was "T-boned" by a red-light runner leaving the Raleigh airport. No police came, no one else stopped. We exchanged info and left. I was returning to my U.S.Marine Corps duty station in Jacksonville. My insurance was invalid that day.

I couldn't afford an attorney but I consulted with one that told me the pictures made it quite clear I was not at fault since the impact was further back on my car. A short time later I received a bill for $1700 or so for the scratches on the other driver's bumper.

Not too long after, I was sent to Iraq. In my absence, they went to court and obtained a judgement against me. I returned to a pile of certified mail and no way to fight it.

In 2005 I returned home to California, where I was born and have always lived. I have had a California Driver's License for 21 years!

A few months ago it was time to renew my license. I mailed the form and fee and forgot about it. Friday, I received a letter stating there was an "issue" in NC that I need to clear up or my license will be revoked indefinitely.

I do not have money for an attorney. I cannot fly out there. I can't even drive now!

How can I find if there is a statute of limitations for such a judgment?

Who can I contact to know my rights here in California?

How can I get my case in front of a judge to plead for driving privileges to work and school?

Do I need to get a lawyer there?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're going to clear up matters in NC first.

Try contacting these folks and working from there:

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/

Justicewudbnice

Zigner, you're not a lawyer? I'm shocked! With such profound feedback as "You're going to clear up matters in NC first"

No ****???? Clear up the issue? Wow! Thats so incredible! How did you come up with that one? I mean clear up the question I asked.... Fwew! Ingenious!

Heads up brainiack, if its as easy as "clear it up" then its a non-issue!

I really thought I'd be so grateful for any ideas or feedback, but come on. Even I wouldn't be so ridiculous as to suggest the obvious!

Thank you Einstein!

davew128

Before you get your panties in a bunch, Zigner's advice was correct. Your problem is in North Carolina. More than likely you're in this position because you were driving an uninsured vehicle but be that as it may, the problem is in NC. Until you contact THEM you can't resolve your problem in CA. That is a fact.

ecmst12

The time to fight this is long past. At this point you owe a large amount of money in NC and won't get your license back until you pay it.

You're welcome.

Dave1952

You may wish to Google the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. You may be able to get the civil case re-opened. But this will take more money than the award that you owe.
You haven't told us why your license was suspended by NC. If you were driving without insurance and that's why they suspended your license then you don't have a defense. Pay your fines, pay the necessary fees and get the license reinstated in NC. Then go to Cal. DMV.
Since you can't afford an attorney call the NC DMV customer service line and see what they advise.

Good luck

ecmst12

When he came back in 2005 he could have fought the judgement based on the SCCRA. But he didn't, and it's too late now. By his inaction, he basically admitted fault and that he owes the money. Only thing to do right now is pay it. His license is suspended because he has an outstanding judgement for money he owes from a car accident. When the debt is paid, the suspension will be lifted. PERHAPS if he enters into a payment agreement and sticks to it for a few months, they will agree to lift the suspension as long as he continues to make payments in good faith.

tammy8

You were uninsured. Because you had no company to defend you, the other partie's insurance paid out the claim and turned your info over to the state to come after you. Because you ignored it, the state has suspended your license and will not reinstate until the 1700 + any other fees are paid.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You were uninsured. Because you had no company to defend you, the other partie's insurance paid out the claim and turned your info over to the state to come after you. Because you ignored it, the state has suspended your license and will not reinstate until the 1700 + any other fees are paid.
And, guess which state that would be... ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">