• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do you have to be barred in a state as an attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pleiades

Colorado

I'm not sure if this is the right way to ask the following question, but:

We have a family member who applied/and passed the bar exam less than five years ago. He's been a lawyer during that time.

But he's planning to move to Texas in haste for personal reasons.

I remember hearing something about needing to stay in the same state (in Colorado) for at least five years after you pass the bar or you could screw up your right to practice law somehow. I know that if he wants to practice law in Texas he would have to take the bar exam again down there anyways. But once you pass the bar in Colorado, is there something that requires him to stick it out there for five years practicing law? If so, what sorta bad thing happens if he decides to leave before that five years is up?? Does he risk having to take the bar exam in Colorado again if he moves to Texas then decides he doesn't like it and comes back to CO? Any idea on what the five year thing is that I'm thinking about?? Jus curious. Our family is advising him before he makes some big mistake.

latigo

Colorado Our family is advising him before he makes some big mistake.
One of his big mistakes might be acting on that advice!

But let me ask you -

Has this licensed Colorado attorney who spent 7 or 8 years being educated at the college level, obtained his doctorate in law, passed the Colorado bar examination and has spent four years practicing law in Colorado actually solicited the advice of his family?

Or is it going to be voluntarily offered – once you people become more knowledgeable regarding his profession by spending a few minutes on the Internet?

Hot Topic

What "gets" me is the reference to leaving the state "in haste."

As a professional, he needs to be asking his questions of other professionals and not "concerned" family. You couldn't even title the post correctly.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Your inventing trouble for your friend that doesn't exist.

There's no problem with his Colorado Bar admission if he moves or otherwise doesn't practice. All he needed to have was an intent to practice at the time he took the exam (and frankly, willingness to pay the fee and take the exam is probably all the demonstration of intent that they need).

The issue with the five years is that if you don't have five years of practice in another state prior to setting up practice in Texas you have to take THEIR bar exam (or at least the state part, they may give him credit for the multistate he already passed). If you are established in practice for five years, you can get admitted "on motion" in most states without taking the exam.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">