• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Does Michigan State Handle Out of State Speeding Tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abachwani

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: PA

I am resident of the state of Michigan .Recently I received a speeding ticket in the state of PA. I immediately paid the collateral amount and plead 'NOT GUILTY'. I have now received a court date for the 18th of October. I feel I may not be able to appear for the trial and this will definitely result in my bond being forfeited. Now MI motor laws state the following

Sec 257.320a(9) states : " If a Michigan driver commits a violation in another state that would be a civil infraction if committed in Michigan, and a conviction results solely because of the failure of the Michigan driver to appear in that state to contest the violation, upon receipt of the abstract of conviction by the secretary of state, the violation shall be noted on the driver's record, but no points shall be assessed against his or her driver's license."

Sec 257.732(17) states :" Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, the secretary of state shall discard and not enter on the master driving record an abstract for a bond forfeiture that occurred outside this state. The secretary of state shall enter on the master driving record an abstract for a conviction as defined in section 8a(b) that occurred outside this state in connection with the operation of a commercial motor vehicle or for a conviction of a person licensed as a commercial motor vehicle drive"

Also an opinion on this matter by SOS below indicates that section 732(17) will be considered.
Opinion #6551

So my questions are
1)Will I get points on my MI license at all if the bond is forfeited as I did not appear for trial?
2)Will the abstract be entered on my driving record if my bond is forfeited ?
3) Will PA issue a bench warrant for failure to appear in spite of me paying me the entire collateral which includes fine,court fees and other fees?

Regards,
AB

abachwani

Please reply

Can someone please reply to this

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: PA

I am resident of the state of Michigan .Recently I received a speeding ticket in the state of PA. I immediately paid the collateral amount and plead 'NOT GUILTY'. I have now received a court date for the 18th of October. I feel I may not be able to appear for the trial and this will definitely result in my bond being forfeited. Now MI motor laws state the following

Sec 257.320a(9) states : " If a Michigan driver commits a violation in another state that would be a civil infraction if committed in Michigan, and a conviction results solely because of the failure of the Michigan driver to appear in that state to contest the violation, upon receipt of the abstract of conviction by the secretary of state, the violation shall be noted on the driver's record, but no points shall be assessed against his or her driver's license."

Sec 257.732(17) states :" Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, the secretary of state shall discard and not enter on the master driving record an abstract for a bond forfeiture that occurred outside this state. The secretary of state shall enter on the master driving record an abstract for a conviction as defined in section 8a(b) that occurred outside this state in connection with the operation of a commercial motor vehicle or for a conviction of a person licensed as a commercial motor vehicle drive"

Also an opinion on this matter by SOS below indicates that section 732(17) will be considered.
Opinion #6551

So my questions are
1)Will I get points on my MI license at all if the bond is forfeited as I did not appear for trial?
2)Will the abstract be entered on my driving record if my bond is forfeited ?
3) Will PA issue a bench warrant for failure to appear in spite of me paying me the entire collateral which includes fine,court fees and other fees?

Regards,
AB

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">