• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buyer wants to return vehicle purchased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rjhesseltine

I have recently sold a vehicle to an individual. This individual wrote up her own bill of sale which I signed and I signed the title when payment was received. Upon receiving payment she agreed to bring me a copy of the Bill of Sale and title with her signature on it. 1 week later I called the buyer asking for the documents I had requested so that I could unregister the vehicle at the DMV. At this point she told me she didn't want the vehicle anymore and wanted me to come and get it and give ger the money back. She claims now that the truck is inoperable and since the bill of sale states that the "I would give her payment back if the vehicle was not in good working condition", she wants her money back. I drove the truck for 5 years and did not have any problems with it, and when she got here to pick it up, they had forgot the keys and were trying to hotwire it while I was looking for a spare set of keys. Who knows what they messed up. Am I obligated to buy the truck back?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

I have recently sold a vehicle to an individual. This individual wrote up her own bill of sale which I signed and I signed the title when payment was received. Upon receiving payment she agreed to bring me a copy of the Bill of Sale and title with her signature on it. 1 week later I called the buyer asking for the documents I had requested so that I could unregister the vehicle at the DMV. At this point she told me she didn't want the vehicle anymore and wanted me to come and get it and give ger the money back. She claims now that the truck is inoperable and since the bill of sale states that the "I would give her payment back if the vehicle was not in good working condition", she wants her money back. I drove the truck for 5 years and did not have any problems with it, and when she got here to pick it up, they had forgot the keys and were trying to hotwire it while I was looking for a spare set of keys. Who knows what they messed up. Am I obligated to buy the truck back?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Two things:

US LAW ONLY (you seemed to skip over the part that asked for the name of your state)

and

What exactly does the Bill of Sale say that you signed? Because if she wrote it up, and you signed it, you are STILL responsible for knowing what the terms are - even if you decided not to read it.

Most private party used auto sales are considered AS-IS sales unless there is something specifically warranted in any signed agreement. Sounds to me like she is claiming that there WAS some kind of warranty in the Bill of Sale. If there is, and you signed it, then you may actually have to give her back the money for the vehicle since your signature on that Bill of Sale says you agreed to it.

rjhesseltine

KS is my state.

I don't know what the exact phrasing is on the Bill of Sale, since she refuses to give me the copy of it that she promised, but from what I recall it says that if she finds that the vehicle is not in good working condition I would buy the truck back from her. I would gladly buy the truck back if I thought there was really something wrong with it, but since they were yanking out wires under the dash to try to hotwire the truck, I feel that the problems they may be having is due to this, and if I buy it back it is not sellable or safe to drive. I can't figure out how they managed to drive the truck 40 minutes to get it to their house, and now it is inoperable. I feel (but can't prove) that they needed the truck for a week, now they have got their use out of it and don't need it anymore.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You REALLY screwed up - you will almost definitely need to refund the money based on the warranty you gave.

BL

I have recently sold a vehicle to an individual

Ok.

This individual wrote up her own bill of sale which I signed and I signed the title when payment was received.
Why would you allow the buyer to write up the bill of sale?
On top of that not read it before signing ,or better yet ,Why didn't you write up two identical bill of sales ,both parties signing and dating and each keeping one?

Upon receiving payment she agreed to bring me a copy of the Bill of Sale and title with her signature on it.
See above : Sounds backwards to me.

1 week later I called the buyer asking for the documents I had requested so that I could unregister the vehicle at the DMV.
Maybe I'm missing something .Is this how the DMV works in your State ?

At this point she told me she didn't want the vehicle anymore and wanted me to come and get it and give ger the money back. She claims now that the truck is inoperable and since the bill of sale states that the "I would give her payment back if the vehicle was not in good working condition", she wants her money back. I drove the truck for 5 years and did not have any problems with it, and when she got here to pick it up,
OK

they had forgot the keys and were trying to hotwire it while I was looking for a spare set of keys.

Who knows what they messed up. Am I obligated to buy the truck back?
Well the altered the vehicle then .Tell them to pound sand .

Mess ? Yeh all backwards . Why do you need the Docs. to unregister the vehicle ?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
There it is ,that question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">