• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Dealership Contract Cancellation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgidley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am in a situation with a dealership. If you want details, there is another thread about it.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/consumer-contracts-guarantees-warranties-22/dealer-sold-mis-labeled-vehicle-529447.html

All they are willing to do is trade cars to fix a situation they got me into. I don't want to get back into the subject matter of the other thread, I just want to know this one aspect:

I don't want to pay taxes twice. It will have been 10 months or so since the purchase date before they can find another car to trade for mine. I will have to pay some amount for the different car. I believe other states only make you pay taxes on the increase in value between trade in and whatever you buy, but CA makes you pay full taxes regardless of trade in.

So, my specific question is, is there any way that the dealership can cancel the contract 9-11 months after they sell a car? The goal here is to get my taxes back, as I would just be paying them again on the traded car. Is the dealership legally allowed to do this? Don't even bother mentioning the Dealership should somehow cover the cost of taxes. That's obviously true (if you read the other thread) but they just won't. It is what it is.

As far as taking care of the dealership, I'll just pay them more for whatever they find for me to make up for the full value of the contract they wouldn't want to refund otherwise. Is anyone familiar enough with dealerships methods to know if there is some reason they wouldn't want to do it this way?

Thanks

sgidley

1. I could have continued with the other thread, but I don't know how I can because it says "closed".

2. The question is specific and not related to the subject of the other thread, perhaps I provided too much background information in the new thread though. Sorry, just trying to make the motivation behind the question known.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">