• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buyer wants a refund on computer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mentat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I sold a computer for $400 to someone over a month ago who was having computer problems. I gave them a fair price. Then several weeks later they send me an e-mail saying they want a full refund.

Do I have to give them a full refund? The buyer is very suspicious of me and accuses me of doing all kinds of things, like installing remote access software and overcharging them. All of their suspicions are unwarranted and I take offense to them. This is the worst customer I ever dealt with. I pretty much don't like this person now and don't want to refund their money. I also suspect that damage might have been done to the computer because their kids always hit their computers and they are very computer illiterate. I might be willing to buy back the computer for a lower price though. It's been over a month now.

What's the best thing to do?

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I sold a computer for $400 to someone over a month ago who was having computer problems. I gave them a fair price. Then several weeks later they send me an e-mail saying they want a full refund.

Do I have to give them a full refund? The buyer is very suspicious of me and accuses me of doing all kinds of things, like installing remote access software and overcharging them. All of their suspicions are unwarranted and I take offense to them. This is the worst customer I ever dealt with. I pretty much don't like this person now and don't want to refund their money. I also suspect that damage might have been done to the computer because their kids always hit their computers and they are very computer illiterate. I might be willing to buy back the computer for a lower price though. It's been over a month now.

What's the best thing to do?
It sounds like you sell these ,etc. since you mention customers .

Your details of what the claim is defective is very vague .

Any warranty ?

mentat

Well, occasionally I fix people's computers and get paid for it. That's what I meant by customer. I do not regularly sell computers. In their situation it was either buy parts from the store and build a computer or just sell them mine, which was easier to do.

They are claiming that there is no damage done to the computer, but I'm not sure that's true.

BL

Well, occasionally I fix people's computers and get paid for it. That's what I meant by customer. I do not regularly sell computers. In their situation it was either buy parts from the store and build a computer or just sell them mine, which was easier to do.

They are claiming that there is no damage done to the computer, but I'm not sure that's true.
If they purchased your person PC with no guaranties then you owe them nothing unless you advertised it in good working order and they can prove it was defective at the time of sale.

If they accepted the PC with the software you had on it , they can always reformat and reload the OS.

mentat

It was working when I was there and after I left, that proves that it was not defective at the time of sale right?

About a week later they started complaining about having problems with the computer after their daughter hit the keyboard. However that's their fault, not mine.

BL

It was working when I was there and after I left, that proves that it was not defective at the time of sale right?

About a week later they started complaining about having problems with the computer after their daughter hit the keyboard. However that's their fault, not mine.
You owe them nothing.

Tell them to try another keyboard.

mentat

I'm thinking of buying the computer back for $300. Do you think this is a fair price, considering that they have had the computer for about 7 weeks? If this is not a fair price, then what is? Are they asking for too much for me to give them all of the $400 back?

BL

I'm thinking of buying the computer back for $300. Do you think this is a fair price, considering that they have had the computer for about 7 weeks? If this is not a fair price, then what is? Are they asking for too much for me to give them all of the $400 back?
That's not a legal issue .That's between you and the buyer .

You have no legal obligation to the buyer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't understand. How?
First, what you are doing could be seen as acknowledging that something may have been wrong with the computer. Second, you have no idea how the computer may have been mistreated.

mentat

First, what you are doing could be seen as acknowledging that something may have been wrong with the computer. Second, you have no idea how the computer may have been mistreated.
I understand the part about how the computer may have been mistreated, but how am I acknowledging that something may have been wrong with the computer? You mean by offering to buy it back for $300? I'm just trying to be a nice guy. They might have money problems which is why they want a refund. Even though I'm not legally obliged to refund their money, I can buy back the computer. However they had it for several weeks, and it costs me time and money to go there, which is why I'm offering to buy it back only for $300 and not $400.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">