• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability waivers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nosmokingbandit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
...but the case is filed in NY.

A few months ago my family drove up to a trail about 5 miles from the top of PA (we live down near philly) and rented some ATVs to ride on the mountain. Naturally the renter had us sign a liability waiver saying that we are responsible for everything that could ever go wrong.
After riding for about 3 hours the ball joint on the front right wheel of the largest atv broke and flipped the atv over and down a hill (luckily my father, who was riding it, jumped off and rolled out of the way), causing quite a bit of damage to the front of the quad. The renter wants us to pay $2700 for damages and $2300 because the machine is not able to be rented without repair.

Every atv shop i've talked to has said that the only way a ball joint will fail is if the machine is not maintained at all. Any mechanic worth his salt will catch a bad ball joint long before it will break. Ball joints are tough little guys.

So i have a few questions:

1. Will we have grounds for disputing the liability waiver based on the fact that the machine was not maintained properly? Other than the ball joint, the winch, electric starter, and digital gauges did not work on the atv when we received it so obviously it was not maintained well. We didnt think much of that at the time because we assume he would have kept the drive-train in good shape even if extra features didnt work.

2. The rental place is located in NY, which is a good 6-7 hour drive. Will we be required to take a day or two off work and drive up to take care of this or is there any way to do this without wasting a ton of time?

3. We will be getting written statements from 2 atv shops' mechanics stating that the ball joint must have been defective and that 3 hours of riding wouldnt destroy one. What else can we gather to help us out?

4. This one is going to be a little messy. On the website of the atv renters there was a statement that an $18 mandatory insurance charge is required with each rental. Since this incident they have removed it from their site.
When my father called to rent the atvs he told them the models we wanted as well as the insurance for all of them of course. After talking on the phone with the owner after the incident he said the insurance was only required for State game lands, not private trails, so they didnt apply it even though we asked. I saved their site as a PDF when we got home when it still had the insurance charge listed, it does not have it listed now. I saved it as a PDF so the metadata would show the date i saved it and that it had not been modified (i'm a designer so i know this stuff ;) ). Since we asked for insurance (though we have no record that we asked, only my father's word) and they neglected to charge it, does that offer any help to our case?

Sorry to be long winded, its kind of a huge mess.

I was in front of our group, so i didnt see the actual accident, however 2 other people did see it and would testify that it simply failed as he was going down a hill. I can personal attest to the fact that we were by no means abusing any atvs or being rough with them at all. Other than the waiver theres nothing going against us that i can find, whereas the plaintiff failed to maintain the equipment and apply insurance.

Thanks so much for any pointers, i really appreciate it.

Dave1952

You have been told by atv experts that ball joints are really tough. That a mechanic would notice a failing ball joint a long time before it fails. That doesn't help you much.
You do try to argue that this atv was not well maintained. This might work but the leasing company may have maintenance records. Have you seen them?
Tumbling an atv down a hill could break a ball joint. You did not see the accident. Why do you believe that the ball joint caused the accident rather than was damaged during the accident? How would you prove this.
I'm much more impressed by the claim that you thought you had purchased insurance. I recommend that you give more thought to this. I'm amazed that they would let you drive off without insurance.

Good luck

nosmokingbandit

You have been told by atv experts that ball joints are really tough. That a mechanic would notice a failing ball joint a long time before it fails. That doesn't help you much.
Wouldnt that show that it didnt fail from us abusing the equipment?
You do try to argue that this atv was not well maintained. This might work but the leasing company may have maintenance records. Have you seen them?
Tumbling an atv down a hill could break a ball joint. You did not see the accident. Why do you believe that the ball joint caused the accident rather than was damaged during the accident? How would you prove this.
My father, who was riding it, will be there to testify. He said that the front right wheel/suspension assembly simply collapsed in on itself like it wasnt held on any more and that caused the atv to roll down the hill. I'm just telling you what he told me, but in front of the judge he will be telling the story himself.
The owner of the atv stated himself that the ball joint failed and that caused the accident, but he says that it doesnt matter because of the waiver. He also says that he ran it up on the bank before the turn and that caused it to fail, but my father, as well as two riders behind him, did see the accident and all say that it failed while simply going straight down the hill. The two people behind him will be there to testify, or will at least give me a written statement to that effect to take with me.
The owner of the atv agrees with pretty much everything we say except he thinks the waiver is fool-proof no matter what, so i think we'll have to convince a judge that the waiver is void due to his negligence.

We do have service records for the atv, and its all the normal stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary, but the owner said he has a mechanic look at the atvs every time they are rented, so a mechanic would have seen a bad ball joint and made sure it was safe.
I'm much more impressed by the claim that you thought you had purchased insurance. I recommend that you give more thought to this. I'm amazed that they would let you drive off without insurance.

Good luck
Over the phone we said we wanted the insurance, which the site said was mandatory, and we didnt comb over the agreement when they arrived at the trail in the morning because they were 2 hours late and we wanted to hit the track as soon as possible. We simply assumed that since we told them, and it was supposedly mandatory, that we were insured and would be paying the extra $18 per atv.
I'll make sure we drive that point.

Thanks!

edit:
heres a shot of their website before they changed it. I saved this the day after we got back, which would have been the day after the incident.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/canada2113/Screenshot2010-10-03at73658PM.jpg
Pardon the missing "O"s, saving a website as a pdf often has odd side-effects, but the metadata is easier to get to so i can show that it is unmodified and the age of the pdf.

Last edited:

Dave1952

I do not see how you will show that ball joint maintenance was the cause of this accident. I do not doubt that the right front wheel collapsed. I'm not convinced that you will be able to prove "ball joint" negligence. The testimony of all of the witnesses may establish that the front end collapsed. The ATV remnants will argue that the front end collapsed. I bet the judge will decide the front end collapsed.
The question is whether the front end collapsed due to something that the rental place did. If you make that defense you will have to try to prove it. I don't think you can.
I don't see how you will dispute the liability waiver. You did sign it. It's probably valid.
That's why the insurance gambit makes sense. The insurance pays off on your liability. The rental office knows that these things see a lot of rough use, that's why they require the insurance. You relied on them insuring these ATVs. They failed to. You have testimony and a screen shot indicating that insurance was expected. Don't waste the court's time with ball joints.
I looked at the screen shot that you cited. How will you show that it's connected to the rental office? Do you have a URL or something?
This case will be handled in the NY county of the rental office. Expect a long drive

Lordy123

I would contact a personal injury lawyer, if you contact a lawyer soley regarding your liability of the damages you will have to pay the lawyer. On the other had if you contact a personal injury lawyer they may take the case for free and try to get the company to pay for personal injury, stress, etc.

My two cents.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would contact a personal injury lawyer, if you contact a lawyer soley regarding your liability of the damages you will have to pay the lawyer. On the other had if you contact a personal injury lawyer they may take the case for free and try to get the company to pay for personal injury, stress, etc.

My two cents.
You're two cents are worth about, well, 2 cents.

There were no injuries, according to the OP.

Lordy123

You're two cents are worth about, well, 2 cents.

There were no injuries, according to the OP.
Having a personal injury lawyer only making basic inquiries is probably enough for the rental companies insurance agency call off the dogs. A coworker of mine was in a non injury accident on a rented snowmobile and he did this exact same thing, not only did he not have to pay the $700 they requested in damages, they gave him a $4,000 settelment.

If the original poster cannot spare the time, or money to fight this, then it doesnt hurt to get an opinion from a personal injury lawyer in the state of the accident. It will cost him nothing for a consult.

Mass_Shyster

Having a personal injury lawyer only making basic inquiries is probably enough for the rental companies insurance agency call off the dogs. A coworker of mine was in a non injury accident on a rented snowmobile and he did this exact same thing, not only did he not have to pay the $700 they requested in damages, they gave him a $4,000 settelment.

If the original poster cannot spare the time, or money to fight this, then it doesnt hurt to get an opinion from a personal injury lawyer in the state of the accident. It will cost him nothing for a consult.
The only way they would pay a $4000 settlement would be if he claimed injuries. Since you stated that there were none, it sounds like your friend defrauded the insurance company.

Generally, members of this forum who advocate illegal activities do not remain members for long.

Lordy123

The only way they would pay a $4000 settlement would be if he claimed injuries. Since you stated that there were none, it sounds like your friend defrauded the insurance company.

Generally, members of this forum who advocate illegal activities do not remain members for long.
The 4,000 for my friend was for trauma/stress, or whatever his lawyer sold them on. I am advocating only that he go consult with a lawyer, the lawyer will know what (in that state) the company could be held liable for. If the lawyer decides there are no liabilities then the OP is only out 30 min.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">