• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to maintain lane?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

renren

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.
I got a ticket for failure to maintain lane. There was no incident/accident. I believe that I was pulled over for being in another county other than my own and for being out at an early hour. It has happened to my fiance 5 times when he stayedsin my county and leaves very early for work. Officer followed me for 3+ miles before pulling me over. Asked me if i was lost. asked me where i was going and where i was coming from and a whole lot of other questions. He never explained what exactly i did wrong now where. He had a second officer pull up in 2nd car. after interviewing me in car, he went back to his car and then came back and asked me to get out and step behind car. he told me he had been watching me. When I went to the traffic court, they tried to make me pay it. No one explained anything except go back to my seat. then i was the last person standing in the courtroom sourounded by the judge, solicitor, 4 officers, and a lawyer they just threw up there next to me. when the judge said "u understand that you are waiving your right to a trial with jurors?" i said, "no, i did not know that and i would prefer that opton." I asked for trial to be transferred to State court. What are my options? It wouldve been $100 if I paid it before first court date; over $130 if I paid it at first court date; and even more now once I go to State court I am sure. I refused to pay ticket purely on principle but now fear that decision will cost me way more than I can afford. lawyer? court fees? and still get charged? possibly affect driver's insurance? Please enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

The Occultist

Well, you didn't clarify, so I'll ask: did you indeed have a moment when any portion of your vehicle allowed itself to leave your lane of travel?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I refused to pay ticket purely on principle but now fear that decision will cost me way more than I can afford. lawyer? court fees? and still get charged? possibly affect driver's insurance? Please enlighten me. Thanks in advance.
I agree - this will end up costing you MUCH more in the long run.

You can simply not pay the jury fee & then it will get kicked back as a trial by the judge. Its the old "Being pulled over for being in another county" routine eh? Is there a reason why you did not stay in your lane? Maybe an animal on side of the road you were trying to avoid? I don't like having a cop on my tail .. heck if they follow you long enough they can usually find a reason to pull you over. What was the exact statue they cited you for? If you opt for a jury trial then you can write the jury instructions to your best benefit; I don't see a DA writing a set up for such a trial. GA standard plates do have the county on the plates I think, like FL but I think that some vanity plates don't have them so there might be a solution for you and your gf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">