• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Isn't this company violating our contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbb87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

About 20 years ago, a cable TV company that I'll refer to as "company A" needed to install cable on my property in order to provide cable TV services to residents on a private road. I have a contract that states the following, "The party of the first part shall provide for the benefit of the party of the second part, his heirs and assigns, permanent free access to all cable television services nor or in the future."

Several other cable companies have taken over since then with company "B" having taken over more than 10 years ago. Up until just recently, I have received free cable TV as I am supposed to. I just got a bill and inquired about it. The cable company says my account was reviewed and I no longer have permission to receive free cable. Aren't they violating the contract?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not my area of expertise, but it sounds to me as if your contract was with Company A, not with Company B.

antrc170

I would send a certified letter to the company explaining the prestanding contract and that if Company B did not want to honor the contract, then you will likewise not continue to allow access to the property in the future. Play hardball.

lbb87

Not my area of expertise, but it sounds to me as if your contract was with Company A, not with Company B.
I had wondered about that, but wouldn't the contract carry over when the other companies took over?

lbb87

I just found something from one of the previous companies that had taken over. It states, in reference to the contract, "although this agreement was initially enterd into in 1990 between (insert my name here) and what was then "company A", "Company C" is committed to act in good faith and follow through with the spirit and intent of the agreement. (Insert my name here) can, and will have free access to cable programming."

So what does this mean for my current situation?

antrc170

It seems to me according to your last post that you should have free cable. If not, do not allow access to the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">