• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unethical

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daisyddva

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I have been told that the lawyer representing my child, gave information she obtained from the child to a 3rd party lawyer (representing a parent in a criminal case). I have been told by 3 different attorneys; including commonwealth, mine and 3rd one this was unethical and she showed her favoritizm for this parent be doing this. She was called as witness in the criminal case and did not recuse herself as the childs lawyer. I filed a bar complaint and they said they couldn't do anything because she was a gardian ad lituem for the child.
I did not not loose my child, no matter of no evidence presented on the assualt charges were ever presented to the court. I did not use any of this in our custody battle. The GAL made no reports of it, either. She did not investigate when the child was abused by the parent, under the No Corp Punishment order during this criminal trial, either that was dragged out for 6 months.
The state bar told me to seek independant legal counsel.

Is this true? GAL do not have to abide by statues or code of conduct?

Hot Topic

Who told you that the attorney gave information that she obtained from the child to the third party? You say that three attorneys have told you that doing so was unethical. Fair enough, but who is the source of the information? "I have been told" is meaningless.

Last edited:

daisyddva

The prosecutor

The commonwealth attorney told me.

The GAL had called her the morning of our second continuance to tell her, what had happened and that they were going to request another continuance (3) to call witness. She; being the GAL was the witness, they were calling. She provided the information to the fathers attorney on the custody case and the fathers defense attorney; who work within the same firm.( she did not recuse herself as GAL)

She had gotten a little angry at me, when I questioned her about something and she called our childs psychologist and the doctor confirmed what I had submitted to the GAL. ( the GAL didn't believe me, but believed dad). It was very simple, I informed the psy. that our sons father would like to come to the visits and what was her opinion on the matter. She did not agree with dad coming, given our current situation. (Dad was found guilty of assualt) and we were there for help. I had sole custody of our son. psy. thought it was a show on dads part, because he had previously refused counseling for our child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">