• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dish Network Satelite Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmanteau

Dish network satelite installation

West Virginia.

I had Dish Network installed Friday afternoon under the assumption I was getting a channel (FX) I watch on a continuous basis. I was told before accepting the agreement by phone and at time of installation that I would have this channel. When I couldn't get it that evening, I called the installer who said I should have it and didn't know why I wasen't getting it. I then called Dish "customer service" who told me there is no 3 day contract cancelation law for them in WV and I basically had no recourse. I would have to pay the $420 fee to get out. The problem was they were in negotiations with FX and they may or may not be getting the channel back. If I already had been a customer it would have been a different story, but being a new customer, I believe they should have informed me of the negotiations before trying to sell me they're service. I was even presented a channel line-up card by the installer with the channel on it. Is there any way of getting out of this contract due to misrepresentation? I would gladly now pay more again to get Direct TV back. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Lordy123

I feel your pain. You can look at my thread on this same page. I'm grasping at straws in that thread. This is the most unethical company I've ever done business with.

vmanteau

Thanks for your reply. I'm new at this and I accidentally somehow locked for anyone else to reply. :confused: From reading the previous reply's to you, it seems like mabe I might have a case because I'm a new customer and was misled. But do I have to get an attorney to fight this outrageous $420 cancellation charge? It most likely will cost me just as much. Should I just go ahead and disconnect? I hate dish! I'm now going to miss my show's that are on FX this evening.

davidmcbeth3

West Virginia.

I had Dish Network installed Friday afternoon under the assumption I was getting a channel (FX) I watch on a continuous basis. I was told before accepting the agreement by phone and at time of installation that I would have this channel. When I couldn't get it that evening, I called the installer who said I should have it and didn't know why I wasen't getting it. I then called Dish "customer service" who told me there is no 3 day contract cancelation law for them in WV and I basically had no recourse. I would have to pay the $420 fee to get out. The problem was they were in negotiations with FX and they may or may not be getting the channel back. If I already had been a customer it would have been a different story, but being a new customer, I believe they should have informed me of the negotiations before trying to sell me they're service. I was even presented a channel line-up card by the installer with the channel on it. Is there any way of getting out of this contract due to misrepresentation? I would gladly now pay more again to get Direct TV back. Thanks,
Call your attorney general's office up and file a complaint with them. If everything you said is correct the AG's office should offer you some relief.

justalayman

If that was a compelling reason for obtaining the service, you might have an argument I would first make an argument with them that they have not provided the services promised and as such, have not lived up to the terms of their very own agreement.

You need to read to be sure there isn't some disclaimer that services offered are not guaranteed and are subject to change without prior notice.

If there is no such disclaimer and they still refuse to budge, I would contact your states attorney general's office and any state utility commission or department and speak with each of them.

vmanteau

Thank you so much David. Yes, everything is correct and the Attorney General's Office seems like a good place to start. I didn't think of that. Didn't know. This is why these forums are here right? Again, thanks to all who did or can give me some sort of course in proceeding with this situation.

Val

Lordy123

If that was a compelling reason for obtaining the service, you might have an argument I would first make an argument with them that they have not provided the services promised and as such, have not lived up to the terms of their very own agreement.

You need to read to be sure there isn't some disclaimer that services offered are not guaranteed and are subject to change without prior notice.

If there is no such disclaimer and they still refuse to budge, I would contact your states attorney general's office and any state utility commission or department and speak with each of them.
Their contract is air tight, legally there's nothing the AG will be able to do, also, utility boards do not regulate RIs for satellite companies so that would be a dead end as well.

First thing you need to do is file a complaint here:
http://www.wvago.gov/takeaction.cfm

If theres anything the AG can do it will come from the consumer protection agency.

justalayman

Lordy123;2662497]Their contract is air tight, legally there's nothing the AG will be able to do, also,
This is outside of their contract. Fraud in the inducement is the action which may get him out of the contract. He specifically stated he wanted FX. He was told he was getting FX until such time he had the system connected and viola`, no FX.

utility boards do not regulate RIs for satellite companies so that would be a dead end as well.
RI?

and yet you direct him to the attorney general's office even though you state the AG would not be able to do anything.

davidmcbeth3

Thank you so much David. Yes, everything is correct and the Attorney General's Office seems like a good place to start. I didn't think of that. Didn't know. This is why these forums are here right? Again, thanks to all who did or can give me some sort of course in proceeding with this situation.

Val
Thx for the praise (I had to take a nitro tablet :) ) Post your result with the AGs office .. dish network is too expensive for me (nah, I'm just cheap) lol

Lordy123

This is outside of their contract. Fraud in the inducement is the action which may get him out of the contract. He specifically stated he wanted FX. He was told he was getting FX until such time he had the system connected and viola`, no FX.
Contradict yourself much? The disclaimer you mentioned is right on the last page of her contract.

Rate Increases, the only real power Utility Boards have. Satellite services are way outside the perview, rightfully so, satellite TV is not a utility.

and yet you direct him to the attorney general's office even though you state the AG would not be able to do anything.
I gave it to her straight by letting her know how difficult this "Battle" with dish network will be, then told her not to waste her time with the utility commission(As that was a knee jerk idea), then I gave her a direct link the the page she needed to fill out the complaint at, with a disclaimer of:

If theres anything the AG can do it will come from the consumer protection agency.

justalayman

E=Lordy123;2663377]Contradict yourself much? The disclaimer you mentioned is right on the last page of her contract.
I don't have her contract. You do apparently. Unless she sent it to you. Thrilled to hear you have evidence not presented here.

and no, it is not a contradiction. When you (and I do mean you) take things out of context and toss them together, you can make them appear however you want.

Rate Increases, the only real power Utility Boards have. Satellite services are way outside the perview, rightfully so, satellite TV is not a utility.
maybe in your state. In mine, they have much more power than just rate increases. Not saying they have any control over satellite but I have often found many state agencies have more power than many give them credit for. A phone call is a cheap price to pay to be sure of what they can and cannot do.

I gave it to her straight by letting her know how difficult this "Battle" with dish network will be, then told her not to waste her time with the utility commission(As that was a knee jerk idea), then I gave her a direct link the the page she needed to fill out the complaint at, with a disclaimer of:
you sent her to the same place I said to go which you said had no power to assist. Talk about contradicting oneself.

Lordy123

I don't have her contract. You do apparently. Unless she sent it to you. Thrilled to hear you have evidence not presented here.

There RA is the same in all 50 states, I viewed it on their website.

maybe in your state. In mine, they have much more power than just rate increases. Not saying they have any control over satellite but I have often found many state agencies have more power than many give them credit for. A phone call is a cheap price to pay to be sure of what they can and cannot do.

Regardless, no state regulates Satellite as a utility. I wont argue the rest

you sent her to the same place I said to go which you said had no power to assist. Talk about contradicting oneself.

There is no contradiction, I gave her a disclaimer stated *if* there anything the AG can do it will come from you filling out this form.
Replied. Note, I have no problem with you, not sure why you do with me, my advice was solid. This whole discussion could have been a lot more amicable.

justalayman

Replied. Note, I have no problem with you, not sure why you do with me, my advice was solid.
maybe because you attacked me.

There RA is the same in all 50 states, I viewed it on their website.
I never take for granted that a contract you review is the same as one a person has. There are always the possibilities of items being struck or added. The only contract that is of concern is the one in the OP's hands. While it is likely the same as you reviewed, there is no guarantee it is.

There is no contradiction, I gave her a disclaimer stated *if* there anything the AG can do it will come from you filling out this form.
really? I said:

, I would contact your states attorney general's office
and you said about that:

Their contract is air tight, legally there's nothing the AG will be able to do
,but then later said:

so, either you are giving incorrect advice yet you want to admonish me for giving the same advice or it would be proper to contact the AG's office and you still should not have said anything to me about it.

If the AG can do nothing, then your advice to contact the AG is just as worthless as my suggestion to contact the PSC yet you want to continue to defend giving the direction to contact the AG's office.

don't complain about something and then turn around and do the exact same thing and hold yourself out to be holier than others.

MikeL DISH

The FOX Takedown

Hello, vmanteau! With each program network that we provide to you, we have individual contracts. When a contract with any given network expires at the end of its fixed time length, we have to negotiate a fair deal for a new one. Takedowns may happen when a network tries to increase its price on us for a new contract by more than what we want to pay. Because we want to maintain the lowest all-digital prices in the pay-TV industry, we, in turn, generally refuse the heavy price increase. We always want to keep the cost as low as possible to you because we value our customers' loyalty. So, channel takedowns happen for the company as a whole and have nothing to do with whether customers are new or existing.

Specifically with the FOX situation a few months ago, we asked the network to keep the channels up during the prolonged negotiation process, but they declined. The channels were, therefore, taken down for a period of time for every customer of ours, regardless of when each one had signed up with us.

Fortunately, however, we were able to reach a fair deal with FOX at the end of October. Because of this, we've been able to have the channels restored and keep a low price!

Hope that helps!

W

Willlyjo

Val
The Attorney General's Office probably won't do much for you since your situation isn't profound or compelling enough. Don't get your hopes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">