• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adkinsmamaw03

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio iwas arrested for shopplifting in a kmart store and before that i was in security room of kmart and when police arrived and was talking . and the security people picked up a razor blade of of the floor and told the police its was mine because they were cleaning today and had not seen it on the floor. so then i was charged with a m1 for criminal tool or somthing like that can they do that is that legal by the way im not guilty of the shoplifting i was used by another person to walk out the door with there cart i didnt know they hadnt paid for it.ive never been in any kind of trouble before im 54 and disabled married over 30 yrs 2 children 4 grandchildren i feel so wronged i dont know what to do ive called a lawyer but he hasnt called back yet.im scared to even walk into another store.need advise

FlyingRon

Listen to the lawyer when he calls. What sort of razor blade are we talking about? Something along the lines of a shaving blade isn't going anywhere in court. A utility knife style blade that could be used either as a weapon or to facilitate your shoplifting (such as to open packaging) will be more in line with what the statute has in mind.

Were you also charged with the shoplifting? That's pretty serious in it's own right.

MFCJohnson

My 2 cents... :)

So, according to your account, there is no substantial evidence that you ever had possession of this blade. It was found by employees and they assumed you had it with you. The whole thing sounds circumstantial, at best.

I would not be as concerned with the weapon as I would the shoplifting charge.
Regardless of how you came about taking the property out of the store, you were caught with it. I think it would be extremely difficult to defend if you were caught in possession of stolen items upon walking out the store.
However, given the fact that you have no prior record, I would consult an attorney. Since the attorney you contacted hasn't responded, don't waste time, consult another. Do it quickly.
At worst, you could end up with a shoplifting charge, but you shouldn't end up with anything more than restitution and/or informal probation. At best, store cameras can pinpoint another person lifting the items, placing them in the basket (without your knowledge), and you walking out with them.
Good luck. I hope all works out well for you.

Melissa FC Johnson

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">