• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Law is so confusing please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angela_ba

Law is so confusing Please help

Maryland

My ex and I seperated in dec. of 99 and divorced in oct. of 2000. I just found out that my ex filed last years taxes as joint. the only problem is that I never signed anything. meaning he forged my signature. when I called IRS to report it they told me that it is a civil matter. I alway thought that forging someones signature ( especially on a tax document) was a federal offense. am I wrong? would I be able to sue him for half the return? also if i did take him to court do I need a lawyer and what would be my chances of winning if I even have a chance. Thank you for any input you may have on this!!

K

Karin48329

Angela- Did you file your own tax return for the period?

A

angela_ba

No, I had no job for that year. I was a Housewife and took care of the children. Thanks for any input you can give.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Angela, did you read my entire response to you in your post entitled, "Subpoena or Not Subpoena" ? Did you understand it ?

By the way, even though you were a housewife, and had no income, you are required, nonetheless, to file an Income Tax Return, form 1040, with the IRS.

And, on top of that, you may have been entitled to money from the IRS because you could have filed as "Head of Household" and received child care credits, among many other benefits.

Talk to you tax counselor to find out if you can "capture" these monies that are due to you.

IAAL

A

angela_ba

thank you I AM ALWAYS LIABLE, yes I did understand what you were saying. Its helping me alot and has lifted a huge load off my shoulders. I was some what very worried since my ex seemed to be able to slip through the cracks when it came to taking him to court. but now i think i may truely have a chance at getting back what is rightfully mine. Thank you again!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">