• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At Fault with Traffic Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A.Hennig

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I was in far left lane of double left turn lane. At beginning of turn into 4-way intersection, driver 2 hit my right rear bumper. 1st officer took statement from driver 2 but report was completed by 2nd officer. Driver 2 was released from scene. Statement was not taken from me until I inquired with the 2nd officer of "who was at fault and what sitations are being issued?".

To my surprise, I was at fault because driver 2 claimed I was attempting a U-turn. I was NOT, and even if I was there is no posted traffic controls saying I could not. I expressed my frustration with the 2nd officer and requested he take my statement and he did. Also, driver 2 did started the conversation with the 1st officer by name dropping another officer's name. How do I argue the ticket in court tomorrow?

A.Hennig

I believe citation was issued as "improper lane use in a intersection". It was under the IL law that has language about legal U-turns. (625 ILCS 5/11‑802) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11‑802) or (625 ILCS 5/11‑801) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 11‑801). It does not make any sense how I could be at fault. I speculate it had something to do with the name dropping with the 1st officer and lack of investigation with the 2nd officer.

A.Hennig

Sorry, other topic was under different forum title and was not sure if it would be viewed as often by legal experience.

Maestro64

Does IL have assigned responsible, if not then last time I check most insurance companies hold the person who's front bumper hit another car responsible. In your case you're not responsible for what the car behind you did or did not do. You could have stop short or did other things which were unpredictable and it would be the other drivers fault if they hit your car.

Now in IL have assign responsible then by trying to put blame on you may allow the insurance company to hold you partly responsible.

Was a citation issue or did they just indication this on the report. If a citation was issue you can fight it, and the other will need to show if they do not then you will by default and that win removes responsibility form you and your insurance company can go after the other guys insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">