• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured driver. Are we stuck?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajinaz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Earlier this year, my wife lost her job and we were forced to make some cuts. Unfortunately, these cuts included dropping under/uninsured, rental and medical coverage from our auto policy.
My wife was in an accident that was caused by the other driver (other driver cited). Other driver provided insurance information. Wife was taken to the hospital and released after Xrays. All three occupants of the other vehicle were also taken to a different hospital.
We provided our insurance company with information and they called us back to say that the insurance coverage of other driver was canceled. Our agent suggested we call the Phoenix PD and let them know. We called and they indicated that they didn't get involved in Civil matters and we would need to find the other driver on our own.
The other driver provided the police with a PO box as an address which just seems ridiculously inept. We asked the police how we were supposed to find someone with a PO box and they actually told us we might find it on Google. This is what my tax dollars are paying for? The police telling me to handle criminal matters myself using Google? Isn't providing false information and driving without insurance a criminal matter? Why is it my job to find this criminal? Should I file a complaint with the police department?
Does anyone have any other ideas on how I might proceed?
Will my insurance (State Farm) raise my rates because of my claim?
Sorry if this sounds bitter. I'm out my deductible, towing, hospital bills and rental car charges.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

An auto accident is a CIVIL matter. If you can find the at-fault party, you can sue, but you probably won't collect, since people who don't have insurance are usually broke. It's not the job of the police to find the driver for you. Whether they got a ticket for driving without insurance has nothing to do with you (and that's probably only an infraction anyway, not a crime).

Your rates should not be affected if you were not at fault.

ajinaz

Thanks for the reply. I guess I misunderstood the law. If the police are supposed to impound the vehicle by law for driving without a license, shouldn't they contact the place where their vehicle was towed and impound it?

Last edited:

ecmst12

It's unknown whether the vehicle would be impounded, not likely in fact. But the police DO NOT have to give you their address. In fact many won't due to safety reasons, even if they have it.

ajinaz

It's unknown whether the vehicle would be impounded, not likely in fact. But the police DO NOT have to give you their address. In fact many won't due to safety reasons, even if they have it.
But they put my address on the accident exchange form? In the future, can I request that my address not be given?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">