• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Canadian Car Sales in Rhode Island

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZMcNeilly

I live in RI, and all details discussed below happened in RI.

About 18 months ago I purchased a used 2008 Dodge Charger from a local car dealership. Just recently I have begun to "just look" at trading it in, because I have gone from a 2 hour commute each day to about 5 minutes, and I don't want to pay for a vehicle I am not using.

When I took the car to one dealership, they said because the car was manufactured in Canada it is worth about 1/2 the Kelley Blue Book price and that I should have signed a disclosure form when I purchased the car. I do not remember signing any disclosure forms, and the only reason I knew it was manufactured in Canada was because of the Carfax vehicle report (though I had no idea it would effect the worth of the car this much); now the dealership I purchased the car from will not return my calls.

The dealership I got the trade-in quote from said that if I did not sign a disclosure form then the dealership legally needs to issue a full refund of my car. I cannot find any references to any law stating this in my extensive google searches, and the dealership refuses to get back to me.

Should I contact a lawyer? I do not have a copy of any disclosure form and I still have a copy of all the paper I signed when I got the car (I believe). Should I go to the dealership and demand they take the car back? Thank you for any help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

justalayman

the dealership is pulling your leg.

As far as I know, all 2008 Charges were made in Brampton, Ontario, Canada.

ecmst12

Most VWs in the US are manufactured in Mexico; doesn't mean they're not legal and intended for sale in the US!

ZMcNeilly

First let me say thank you for all of the great replies so far; it is really appreaciated.

I made a slight mistake in the above post I made, and I apologize for wasting your time. The issue isn't that it was manufactured in Canada but that the first owner lived in Canada and the dealer he traded it in to, had it brought to the US.

Again, thank you all for the great advice, and I hope I am explaining myself correctly now.

justalayman

I made a slight mistake in the above post I made, and I apologize for wasting your time. The issue isn't that it was manufactured in Canada but that the first owner lived in Canada and the dealer he traded it in to, had it brought to the US.
well, I don't know if there is a difference in US v. Canadian model cars but generally importing a vehicle into the US is a very PITA process. If there is nothing different between a US and Canadian model, it would have been as simple as Chrysler providing a letter of compliance with US laws and it would have been allowed to be registered in the US. Based on the fact you have registered it in the US, I suspect the proper actions were taken.

So, I do not see any reason there should be a penalty due to it being first registered in Canada and I know of no requirement to disclose such to any buyer.

I see no reason it should affect the value anymore than living in any northern state with similar weather conditions.

does your odometer read in miles or kilometers or both?

ZMcNeilly

It reads in miles only (or else my gas mileage is REALLY bad) and my speedometer is in primarily M/h with km/h below it in small orange text (like any american car).

Thanks again!

Mass_Shyster

You should ask the car dealer for some reference to that law. If he's telling you to return the car to the previous seller, I suspect he believes it's true.

There may be a difference in the warranty between a car sold in Canada and a car sold in the US. I doubt there's any physical difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">