• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto shop not progressing on any repair work - what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DS4321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I was in a car accident which was the other guy's fault. Basically the police called a tow truck, and that person towed it to a "highly recommended" shop. Long story short, before leaving the shop, the guy tricked me into signing this form which included a sentence for authorization to perform repair. A few days later, after discussing the situation with my insurance company, we decided to tow the car to a shop closer to my home. But the auto shop guy refused to release it, saying I had signed the document and he had "already begun the work and ordered parts", when he most likely hadn't. Regardless, we figured instead of fighting, we would let him fix the car.

That was about 2 months ago, and ever since, there has been little, if any progress in the car repair with the guy constantly saying "we are waiting for parts". My insurance co car adjuster has gone several times to follow-up, but the auto guy often refuses to let him see the car and makes demands like wanting my insurance company to pay for the repairs as they happen (my insurance company refused).

Of note is that the car is registered to my brother, not myself, so I don't know whether my signature meant anything. The body shop guy has since called my brother asking for his signature, but he refused. My insurance co. suggested getting a lawyer involved.

I need to get my car out of there and get it fixed asap. What kind of legal ground do I have to stand on? Is my signature enough for the guy to just take as long as he wants on the repair (I know he charges a daily storage fee)?

justalayman

Of note is that the car is registered to my brother, not myself, so I don't know whether my signature meant anything. The body shop guy has since called my brother asking for his signature, but he refused. My insurance co. suggested getting a lawyer involved.
the really bad news:

your brother and possibly his insurance company are off the hook for this. You aren't.

bottom line; if you do not believe they are working as promised, go to the shop with a tow truck and tell them you are taking the car elsewhere and they need to present a bill for work already performed and and non-returnable ordered parts. (of course, those go with the car). Then pay the guy and tow the car away. If you believe he charged an improper amount for the work done, take it up in court later.

DS4321

But is my signature good enough to authorize repairs on the car, even though it is registered to my brother?

ecmst12

I think you need to find a shop that you trust and have them send a truck over to the shady place to get your car.

justalayman

But is my signature good enough to authorize repairs on the car, even though it is registered to my brother?
Your signature is good enough to bind you to the costs incurred by the garage when repairing the car. If you presented yourself as having the authority to have the car repaired, the garage can take you at your word. You owe the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">